turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would federal taxes not be withheld from my check?

All forms look correct. I am married filing jointly and have a single dependent.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you are a W-2 employee, your employer withholds taxes based upon the W-4 withholding form you submitted to him.  Or are you talking about some other kind of check (such as for a pension)?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Your employer is responsible for withholding taxes from your check based on the Form W-4 he has on file for you.  The IRS made changes to the 2020 Form W-4 which may have affected your withholding amount for 2020. 

Your employer also has tax tables and tax charts that will tell you the amount to be withheld based on the amount of pay per pay period received by you.  Please contact your employer to find out why they did not withhold taxes from your pay.

Please refer to the following link for additional information on the 2020 Form W-4.

I'm talking about payroll. I have double checked my W-4. I'm married filing jointly with 1 dependent. I'm super confused. I've chosen the same for previous jobs and had no issues. 

Then talk to your employer. They may have made an error.

I've had the same same issue for the entire 2021 year so far. I've tried to talk to IRS reps about why no federal taxes are being withheld from my paychecks and they keep telling me it is my employers responsibility. I am married, filing jointly with one dependent. My employer has no idea why they are not being taken out. There are other fellow employees at my workplace who are filing exactly the same as me and federal taxes are being withheld.

@Jmart379 wrote:

I've had the same same issue for the entire 2021 year so far. I've tried to talk to IRS reps about why no federal taxes are being withheld from my paychecks and they keep telling me it is my employers responsibility. I am married, filing jointly with one dependent. My employer has no idea why they are not being taken out. There are other fellow employees at my workplace who are filing exactly the same as me and federal taxes are being withheld.

Answered here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/why-are-no-federal-taxes-being-w...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies