Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was I charged to file a Florida State return when Florida does not do income tax, so nothing needs to be filed?

I am a long time Michigan resident. I picked up a temporary job in FL for 1 week after the hurricanes. I received a W2 from this job. During my taxes, I entered in the W2, and it added Florida to my states to file in. At the end I was reviewing my cost (it made me upgrade to Deluxe), and it was 

Federal $39

Florida $39

Michigan $39

Federal and Michigan eFiled, and it said that nothing had to be mailed or sent for Florida because they do not do income taxes, so I was all set. So my question is, WHY was I charged $39 for Florida? I called in and the agent said it was the fee to eFile, but I informed her that nothing was filed for this state. We talked in circles and she did not help me. I feel I should get a refund for the $39 that went to nothing for the charges to file for Florida. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

Why was I charged to file a Florida State return when Florida does not do income tax, so nothing needs to be filed?

FLORIDA

Florida does not have a state income tax.   You should have skipped the FL tax unless you own rental property  in FL or a FL based business.

Florida has a  tangible personal property tax form that is used in a Florida-located business or rental property and is filed with the county property appraiser by April 1st. 

If you do need to file a Form DR-405, nothing will print (except an instruction sheet) unless assets were transferred or you manually entered assets in the DR-405 worksheet. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose   Skip State   in the   State Taxes   section.

If you proceeded past the warning screens, try deleting the Florida return --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608

If you have gone too far and cannot get out of the FL return you will need help from customer support.

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks for the reply. I already contacted customer service and they said she can't help me. 

@Kendallecorrea Try again and hope for a better listener.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Usually the online fees once paid cannot be reversed however I would call back and insist on having the FL fee refunded ... tell them you were not paying attention to the warning screen that told you to skip the FL state  completely...  nothing on the FL return could be efiled and unless you actually made entries in that section it would not even populate the form. 

florida state.PNG

Thanks I will try this! I definitely did not need it, and do remember that screen. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about it and continued through it anyways. 

Yes ... when you use a DIY program you are responsible for reading all the screen instructions yourself.  

QueasyE 1111
Returning Member

Did they return the fee for florida?

Having a similar issue..

No, I opened a ticket (one51118221six and never got a reply back. 

My Case: "15one118221six" was opened, and then they closed it out without contacting me or posting any sort of comment or resolution. Poor customer service for sure. 

Sadly I experienced very bad customer service with them handling this case. I went through several avenues to contact them, and finally they said to do a case and they closed it on me without resolution. 

QueasyE 1111
Returning Member

Interesting,  yeah I didn't see a total before I paid and definitely didn't see anything about paying for Florida,  where I live. Then I pay to file and see they charged me 59.99 for Florida. 

I called and made a claim, apparently it's common. We will see I suppose. Aggravating...

The same thing happened in my situation. Very frustrating for sure! Hopefully you're able to get yours resolved. Next year I'm going with H&R. 

I moved to FL in December 2022.  After I finished my other state returns, each time I clicked "done with state returns", TurboTax came back with the screen "Why not finish your state return" and lists "FL part year resident" on the return.  How do I bypass this screen since there is no FL state income tax return I should file?  

@1597980 wrote:

I moved to FL in December 2022.  After I finished my other state returns, each time I clicked "done with state returns", TurboTax came back with the screen "Why not finish your state return" and lists "FL part year resident" on the return.  How do I bypass this screen since there is no FL state income tax return I should file?  

Delete the Florida state return -

If using the TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/delete-state-return-turbotax...

If using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/clear-state-return-turbotax-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies