Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ee-ea
Level 15

Why was I charged to file a Florida State return when Florida does not do income tax, so nothing needs to be filed?

Why was I charged to file a Florida State return when Florida does not do income tax, so nothing needs to be filed?

Thank you. I use a CD and followed your instructions, but FL state return is not listed under "File" because I have not purchased for and prepared it.  Only the state returns that I do need to file are listed.  

I was also charged for Florida taxes.  Without a final printed-out form, or instructions.  I just found out that I should have had a form DR405 for Florida that I'd never heard of before.  So now I know I should have been filling that out for the past three years and am in default I'm guessing.  In my county, there isn't an e-file Brevard so it had to be mailed in.  I did have Intuit call me and the rep told me about the DR405 form and was able to send me a link to request a refund since Florida taxes were not filed, nor printed.  I am waiting to see if I will be reimbursed.  Meanwhile, I mailed in my first DR405 with my fingers crossed that I don't get a late fee for missing the April 1st due date this year and the previous years that I may owe penalties.  Lesson learned and duly noted. 

I find it very hard to believe as elaborate as the TurboTax preparation systems are, they do not have anything on "Reviewing whether or not we should file FL taxes" section?? I just assumed that since they are very thorough with all the questions, this would be something they would emphasis on? Never would have thought that if I selected to file FL taxes, I would have no recourse?

TURBOTAX ONLINE STATE FL TAX YEAR 2022 PREP 
$59.00

Ive filed two case numbers for the $59 Florida refund, both were declined. 

Anyone have any progress on refund? Where do we file a BBB complaint, where's their HQ?

@tonydelvek The TurboTax software presented a screen asking specifically if you need to file a Florida Tangible Property Tax return Form DR-405.  All you needed to do is click on Skip State.  You did not do that.

Then in the File section of the program on Step 1 when reviewing the your TurboTax account fees, the Florida state program of $59 was presented.

You could at any time before paying for the TurboTax account fees deleted the Florida return.

Florida TTO 2022.JPG

Florida TTO 2022 1.JPG

@DoninGA

Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I already acknowledged that.

But no worries, I was just able to get it refunded after my 3rd attempt. 

I know Intuit looks out for its customers, I just had to find the right person to help. 

FLORIDA

Florida does not have a personal state income tax.   You should have skipped the FL tax unless you own rental property  in FL or a FL based business.

Florida has a  tangible personal property tax form that is used in a Florida-located business or rental property and is filed with the county property appraiser by April 1st. 

If you do need to file a Form DR-405, nothing will print (except an instruction sheet) unless assets were transferred or you manually entered assets in the DR-405 worksheet. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose   Skip State   in the   State Taxes   section.

If you proceeded past the warning screens, try deleting the Florida return --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608

florida state.PNG

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies