Why is TurboTax charging me for Premier when it sh...

Why is TurboTax charging me for Premier when it should be the Deluxe version?

Do you have any of the following?

Rental income

Royalty income

Schedule K-1

Capital gains/losses from transactions of stocks/bonds/mutual funds, etc.

Not this year.  I did for sell stock in 2018 though.  Did it default?  

@ jalvarado1 wrote:

The items I listed above are the most common things that require an upgrade from Deluxe to Premier.

When you sold stock last year, was it at a loss, and did you have a capital loss carryover from 2018 that is showing up in your 2019 return?  If so, that would require Premier for 2019 to report the capital loss carryover from 2018 on Schedule D.

Did you use Online TurboTax last year?  If so, you would have had to use 2018 Premier to report the stock sales.  So it may have started you out in Premier this year based on last year.   

If you wish, and if you don't have a capital loss carryover, you can try downgrading to Deluxe, and see if it asks you to upgrade at some point and why.   If it does, then there's also one of the free products you might be able to switch to if you qualify called TurboTax IRS Free File Program  (this is NOT the regular Free Edition), which can prepare all forms and schedules if you meet one of the qualifications.   We can tell you more about that product and qualifications, if desired.

Otherwise, here's how to downgrade to Deluxe if you don't think you need Premier:

FAQ:  How do I clear and start over in Online TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...