Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my code not working and how do I fix it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

174 Replies

ADDENDUM 3/31/2020, 2:00 AM Pacific

I assumed you were referring to a license activation code for desktop software (CD/download).  So this answer was for that situation.   If, however, you are in fact using Online Deluxe, also see my followup comment lower down in this thread.

Original Comment:

If you are referring to desktop software (CD/download), please see this FAQ and expand all subtopics.   It will tell you a few errors to check for, and also has a contact link for TurboTax Support, if necessary.

FAQ:  My code doesn't work

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/my-code-doesn-t-work/00/871966

NOTE:  Please be aware this community forum is a public Internet forum, and you should not post any personal info here.   I've flagged this thread for a Moderator to remove your personal info during the day today.  Please do not post any codes here.

Wait a minute.  You probably need to explain more.   Underneath your question above it says you are using Online Deluxe. 

What product are you using--Online TurboTax or the desktop software??.  I assumed above you were using desktop software (CD/download) and referring to a license activation code.   But that tag about "Online Deluxe" confuses the issue.  So what is your story?    Did you buy desktop product (CD/download), but used Online TurboTax by mistake instead?

I purchased the CD version to use on my old computer.  It is running windows 7.   I purchased a new computer that does not have a CD drive.  The License code for downloading is not recognized by you.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help article:  I bought the CD, but my computer doesn't have a CD drive

If you are having problems with the activation code, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

@aspenhill2​​​​​​​

Hatton

I have a turbo tax CD and I am using the down load portion and have the license code 

Hatton

I have purchased  Turbotax premier TY2020 FS license code [removed]  how do I get started

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Enter your license code here @Hatton.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I entered my 16 digit code (all numbers) and the system will not accept it.  What can I do?

@frankcosway wrote:

I entered my 16 digit code (all numbers) and the system will not accept it.  What can I do?

A license activation code for 2020 TurboTax desktop software is normally a combination of letters and numbers.  If yours is all numbers, then that's bizarre.

Here's how to phone TurboTax Support for assistance:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

access code for my 2019 tax disk does not work so can not access forms to do tax returns

@michael a fuller wrote:

access code for my 2019 tax disk does not work so can not access forms to do tax returns

The 2019 code is a 14-digit combination of letters and numbers.

FAQ: My code doesn't work

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/my-code-doesn-t-work/01/871966

Also expand the section in the FAQ labeled  "Error Codes."

Here's how to phone TurboTax Support if needed:

Susan 98531
Returning Member

I have desktop 2019 Business and Desktop 2019 Premier.  My computer has been replaced.  I have PDF & paper copies of my 2019, but don't have the turbotax's file.  2020 won't load from 2018, so I'm trying to install my disks for 2019 so I can build that and then do 2020.  The license code you entered is not valid. Error code: 606

In my intuit account, it offers download of everything except the actual product.

@Susan 98531 wrote:

I have desktop 2019 Business and Desktop 2019 Premier.  My computer has been replaced.  I have PDF & paper copies of my 2019, but don't have the turbotax's file.  2020 won't load from 2018, so I'm trying to install my disks for 2019 so I can build that and then do 2020.  The license code you entered is not valid. Error code: 606

In my intuit account, it offers download of everything except the actual product.

I'm not sure if I understand completely what you are trying to do.  Are you planning to recreate your 2019 return exactly as it was filed, so that you can transfer the 2019 data into the 2020 desktop software to prepare your 2020 return??

Since you have 2 different 2019 product editions, be sure you're not getting the license codes mixed up; i.e., be sure you're not using the 2019 Business license code to activate the 2019 Premier, or vice versa.

If it wasn't a mix up on the 2 license codes for the different product editions, could it be the following?

When you install your 2019 Premier, does it install as the wrong edition; i.e., does it install as the Basic Edition instead of the Premier Edition, and then produces Error 606 at attempted activation?

If so, see this FAQ.  Is this your issue?

FAQ:   TurboTax 2019 CD/Download launches as Basic and gives Error 606 when trying to activate

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-cd-download-launches-as-basic-and-gi...

You may end up needing to talk to TurboTax Support. 

NOTE:  Also see my next comment below on how to get downloads of your 2019 products placed in your existing account.  The downloaded installation files will likely be a more-recent release than the original CD release.

@ Susan 98373  also wrote:  "In my intuit account, it offers download of everything except the actual product."

So you want a download file to install from?   That's a good idea, since the 2019 CDs are an old release.  The 2019 installation file has been updated several times since then.

If you want to get downloads of your 2019 products instead of using the CD, see this article on how to get it placed in your account so it can be downloaded.  When you follow the steps, be sure to sign in with your existing Intuit Account.    It's the same steps that someone would use who doesn't have a CD drive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

The 2019 product has a 14-character license code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies