Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why error on line 25 column b

get an error on capital gains worksheet for RSU.  I have some values in the "Number of shares withheld" for tax and for those entries there is an error for lline 25 column b.  If I remove the value the error goes away, but that seems wrong to me to remove the value of shares withheld for taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

That interview confuses many people but leaving the shares "for taxes" is not an issue.

The only thing a number in that "for taxes" box does programmatically is that number is subtracted from the "vested" shares number to come up with a number of shares available for sale, and that's all it does.

You clearly are doing something wrong with your entries since with that "for taxes" box or boxes filled in the program is telling you that you haven't reported enough shares available for sale to cover the number of shares sold, so eliminating the "for taxes" number fixes that problem.

IF you're sure that the sales themselves are correctly reported AND the W-2 income TurboTax might calculate agrees to your actual W-2, THEN I'd say there's no harm, no foul by not entering the "for taxes" number or numbers.

Tom Young

I have the same issue with your tool. It asking me for line 25 column b  from the 1099-B.  This form however has nothing like this.

I used your import from stockplanconect -  this went well except that cost basis were not transferred so  I had to enter those manually

I really thought this is 'the tool' for taxes, but no longer think that; intuit should knows and test their stuff.

I fixed this by:

-going to "FORMS"

-then selecting "Emp Stock Wks"

-scroll down to LINE 27

-column (b)

-right-click to manually override. Then enter the number of shares sold. 

If you run into errors:
-check LINE 25
-column (e) should be blank

-column (f) should be blank

CamRam1

Didn't have an issue last year, but having same problem now and don't know where to fix the problem as I imported the data from Merrill and followed the interview questions so now it makes no sense to fill out a random line.  

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

One option to clear the error is to report your RSU as if it were a regular stock trade.  If you know the relevant information to enter, i.e., cost basis, date sold, number of shares sold, sales proceeds, then you can enter that information and produce the same result as if you went through the RSU screens.   Your firm should have sold some of your shares to cover the tax withholding and that amount should have been reported on your W-2.  If that withholding amount has already been included on your W-2, then you do not need to separately enter that withholding amount.  Thus, you can just focus on entering the sales information for your RSUs. 

If you decide to pursue this option, when you have to select the type of investment , don't select RSU, but rather just select Stock (non-employee).  That way, you avoid having to deal with the number of shares sold to cover the tax withholding.  

@CamRam1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies