Why does Turbo Tax require a telephone number and ...

-675hb-

Why does Turbo Tax require a telephone number and an e-mail address on Form 1040 in the "Sign Here" section when the IRS doesn't require them?

TiffanyL

Is this preventing you from being able to e-file? May I ask are you able to move past it without entering anything?

-675hb-

Response to TiffanyL:   Thanks for your response.  This turned out not to be a problem, although at the time I posted the question it appeared it might be.  I was in the "final check" section (I forget what it's called), and the system flagged my phone number as a needed item; I knew from Tools/View Tax Summary that it already had the e-mail address.   I ignored the request, clicked "Continue", and reviewed other entries.  When the system came back to this point, the request was still insistently there.  Since I thought it might create some problem with completing the return (as you know, it isn't possible to see the actual return until it's finished and paid for), I decided to provide the number.  After I paid for the return, I was able to see that neither the phone number nor the e-mail address had been entered in the Form 1040 "Sign Here" section.  I don't believe in providing information the IRS doesn't require, and I know the IRS doesn't initiate taxpayer contacts via phone or e-mail.  So I don't think Turbo Tax should demand phone or e-mail information while compiling the return.  Once again, thanks for your reply.