Solved: Why does line 2a on form 1040 not match the number I input for tax-exempt interest?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does line 2a on form 1040 not match the number I input for tax-exempt interest?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Why does line 2a on form 1040 not match the number I input for tax-exempt interest?

It can be somewhat lower if you entered some $$ on line 13 of a form 1099-INT...or are reporting "Accrued interest " on a municipal bond you bought last year.

But if higher than you expect......

.....Just to check.....line 2a includes both box 8 from all your 1099-INT forms,  AND box 11 from all your 1099-DIV forms, (also Sometimes info from some K-1 Forms if you entered any).  Recheck all those first. 

IF it still doesn't add up properly, you may either have a duplicate -INT or -DIV form you need to delete..or worst case, you may have to Delete your entire Schedule B  , and re-enter all your 1099-INT, -DIV and -OID forms.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

It can be somewhat lower if you entered some $$ on line 13 of a form 1099-INT...or are reporting "Accrued interest " on a municipal bond you bought last year.

But if higher than you expect......

.....Just to check.....line 2a includes both box 8 from all your 1099-INT forms,  AND box 11 from all your 1099-DIV forms, (also Sometimes info from some K-1 Forms if you entered any).  Recheck all those first. 

IF it still doesn't add up properly, you may either have a duplicate -INT or -DIV form you need to delete..or worst case, you may have to Delete your entire Schedule B  , and re-enter all your 1099-INT, -DIV and -OID forms.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings