Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does it keep asking for box 14 code? It's blank on my w2 but turbo tax won't let me progress without a code but I don't have one.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Why does it keep asking for box 14 code? It's blank on my w2 but turbo tax won't let me progress without a code but I don't have one.

If box 14 is blank, just skip over it. Don't enter a 0 for any blank boxes.

In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you.

Note: 

Box 14 — Employers can use this W-2 box to report information such as:

• State disability insurance taxes withheld
  • Union dues
  • Uniform payments
  • Health insurance premiums deducted
  • Nontaxable income
  • Educational assistance payments
  • A member of the clergy’s parsonage allowance and utilities
  • Charitable contributions made through payroll deduction

jn123

I had the same issue trying to file tonight.  It kept telling me to review the info on my W2 and trying to force me to enter a value for box 14 even though 1. I never entered anything to begin with, and 2. when it tried to make me enter something I selected Other for the description and left the values blank as they appear on my W2.  I tried to continue progressing through filing, paid, then it wouldn't let me finish e-filing unless I "fixed" the W2.

My guess is there's a problem with whatever system is being used to automatically import the W2 from my employer.  It didn't show anything at all for box 14 the first time I reviewed the W2, but then it showed up and started making me enter something when I got to the Review step.  After two calls to support I find out I had to delete the entry for box 14 to finish.

If anyone else has this issue, go back to your W2 entry (under Federal), find the section for box 14, click the trash can icon next to any row(s), then click Continue.  Don't know why their system can't accept an entry of Other and blank, but whatever.

Dana S

I'm having this same issue too. I had to type out all the info on my W-2 even though I imported it and it won't let me progress without box 14, which is empty.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You may want to make sure there are no extra spaces or characters in that field within TurboTax. If you by chance entered zero, you will want to delete it. If you continue to have issues, please reach out to Customer Support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Dana S

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks this was driving me crazy 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies