Cpetrassi

Why do I have two different federal refund amounts? I received one refund already. Is the other amount the adjustment from unemployment tax break? Thank you

HelenC12

This is a tax advice forum. We can't see your tax return but if you filed your income tax return before the unemployment tax break was enacted, yes, that's probably why you have a different refund amount. Print out a copy of your current tax return and compare it with your initial return to see the difference(s).

Cpetrassi

Thank you for the quick response! 

Yes accurate I did do taxes prior to bill.

Is the difference my overpayment? And will that be direct deposit like the first refund.

Thank you again 

LenaH

Yes, if you received two different refund amounts, then it is likely the difference was your overpayment due to unemployment.

@Cpetrassi

If you already filed and didn't get the 10,200 unemployment exclusion you do not need to amend. The IRS will be adjusting it for you. See,
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

Cpetrassi

Would I subtract one from the other to know amount I'm still accepted to receive or is second amount the total overpayment?

Thank you again

Cpetrassi

Thank you again