turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I have two different federal refund amounts? I received one refund already. Is the other amount the adjustment from unemployment tax break? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Why do I have two different federal refund amounts? I received one refund already. Is the other amount the adjustment from unemployment tax break? Thank you

This is a tax advice forum. We can't see your tax return but if you filed your income tax return before the unemployment tax break was enacted, yes, that's probably why you have a different refund amount. Print out a copy of your current tax return and compare it with your initial return to see the difference(s).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the quick response! 

Yes accurate I did do taxes prior to bill.

Is the difference my overpayment? And will that be direct deposit like the first refund.

Thank you again 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you received two different refund amounts, then it is likely the difference was your overpayment due to unemployment.

@Cpetrassi

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you already filed and didn't get the 10,200 unemployment exclusion you do not need to amend. The IRS will be adjusting it for you. See,
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

Would I subtract one from the other to know amount I'm still accepted to receive or is second amount the total overpayment?

Thank you again

Would I subtract one from the other to know amount I'm still accepted to receive or is second amount the total overpayment?

Thank you again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies