turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I get an error message when trying to file extension?

I bought Turbotax deluxe from Target & downloaded the software after purchase (instead of buying the CD). I am trying to file an extension for tax year 2019 & go through the screens. It tells me I have to print & mail to the IRS. But Turbotax website says I can e-file an extension for free in March. So I try that today, online, and get a rejection saying the deadline has passed. This makes no sense and I'm so frustrated! Help!

Unfortunately, the deadline for filing an extension has passed*

But you can still file your taxes on TurboTax until October 15, 2020.
Things you need to know:
  • Any taxes you owe were due on April 15, so pay them soon to keep penalties and interest to a minimum.
  • After October 15, you can’t e-file online. But you can still print and mail paper forms.
* If you live in Massachusetts or Maine, you're in luck! You can file an extension through April 17.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The reason you're getting the "Unfortunately, the deadline has passed message" because that message relates to tax year 2018.

For tax year 2019, the IRS has approved the 4868 form for mailing but not e-filing. Once the form has been approved for e-filing, you won't get the message. Please check the TurboTax Forms Availability to see when the form is "available" for e-file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I guess I'm confused....this link (pasted below) appears to indicate the possibility of e-filing an extension for 2019. Thoughts?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

Online filing of extensions has not started yet per the IRS.   You can print and mail file for an extension now.

Online will start sometime in March but date has not been established yet.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

In past tax years, has the IRS approved (prior to April 15) form 4868 to be e-filed? I'm just weighing options. I would prefer an email confirmation instead of just hoping it gets there in the mail, you know?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As macuser_22 points out, at some point, the 4868 will be made available in TurboTax for online filing. 

"In past tax years, has the IRS approved (prior to April 15) form 4868 to be e-filed? " Yes, because I have done it with my personal returns.

Emma75

The form did not answer my question.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@Emma75 We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

If you are trying to file an extension, you can file online for free with TurboTax Easy Extension. Click on "Or, file today with no tax knowledge needed."

@Emma75   This is the only post you have made under this username.  What is your question?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies