turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which address should I put on my return?

In 2016, my daughter and I lived on our own for 8 months. This address is on my W-2s. Because of this, I know to file head of household. However, in August, we moved in with my boyfriend. He says that I should not put his address (my current address) on my tax return because he also files as head of household and there cannot be two with the same address. However, I am only claiming to be the Head of Household for 2016, not currently. So, do I put my old address on the return where I was the head of household or the new one?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Your W-2 information must match exactly, because that's what the issuer of those W-2's sent to the IRS. If you're talking about the "mailing address" you enter under the Personal Info tab, you should use the address of where you live "right now", as that is the address the IRS will send any correspondence to concerning your tax return. If for some reason the IRS can not direct deposit your refund to whatever account you specify, then the IRS will cut a check and mail it to the address you enter in that "mailing address" section under the Personal Info tab. Use your current address. If the BF is only concerned about what "he" can claim, well..... I'll leave that alone.

My W-2's were imported online. Am I filing under the address listed on the W2? So the mailing address has nothing to do with filing?
Carl
Level 15

The current mailing address is important. The address on the W-2 does not have to match your current mailing address.

Carl, then answer you gave to the second question contradicts the answer you gave to the initial question.
Carl
Level 15

Actually, it's just not clear, and there is no contradiction. The IRS does not care about the address on the W-2 that belongs to the recipient. They do care about the address of the employer. That has to match.
clidon

Neither my spouse nor I have a W-2, All of our income is listed off our 1099 (social security) but Turbo Tax is asking for a W-2 before we can file.

Please correct.

Thanks,

Clint And Donna Alexander

clidon

As I stated before, we do not have a W-2

clidon

As stated two previous times, we do not have W-2"s.

Who am I talking to?

May I call you on the phone to correct this?

Thanks,

Clint

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please use these steps and delete any W-2 information that might be showing in your account. 

Sign into your account and go into the return

Open the “Tax Tools” drop-down on the left side bar

Click on “Tools” on that drop-down

Click Delete a form (the third one down) on the “Tools Center” screen

Scroll down and click “Delete” next to Form W-2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@clidon 

If your ONLY income is from SS benefits then you are not required to file a return  UNLESS you have a 1095-A to report ... then to efile the return you will need to enter $1 of bank interest so you don't have a zero income return.

suarka99

Hi, If I already submitted my W-2 on Turbo Tax, where can I view the mailing address I put on file and where can I edit it if it's possible?

@suarka99 wrote:

Hi, If I already submitted my W-2 on Turbo Tax, where can I view the mailing address I put on file and where can I edit it if it's possible?

Look at your tax return - 

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Go to this IRS website for address changes - https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes

[PII removed]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies