turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to send an ITIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Where to send an ITIN?

You are welcome on my first response. 

To answer your new questions:

1) Do I have to send a copy of her "W-7 form" together with my federal "1040 form" to Austin and another copy of her "W-7 form" together with my state (Michigan) 1040 form to Lansing?

You would submit the W-7 with your Federal 1040 only. You cannot mail your state return in at this time. When you receive the ITIN letter back from the IRS you would then enter her ITIN instead of a Social Security Number in the My Info section and then print and mail in your state return. 

2) Can she apply for her ITIN number with almost seven months of residency in the US? 

Yes, there is not a number of days as resident requirement to request an ITIN. The only restriction is that she is not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number at the time she submits the W-7.

3)  The last year when I requested my tax refund I was single and I got around 1700 dollars but now I just got married and have filled my tax return together with my wife and I will receive a double. 

Using the Married Filing Jointly filing status when you file together allows you to double your Standard Deduction and use a more favorable tax table. You are the only one with wages, but the tax table is taxing your income as if you both could be working.

Because your wife has been in the U.S. for over 183 days in 2019 she is considered a Resident Alien for tax purposes. You are able to use Form 1040 when you file your joint return.

When mailing in the federal return and the state return do not forget to attach a copy of your W-2 to the tax forms.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Where to send an ITIN?

If you are asking where to send Form W-7 to request an ITIN from the IRS, there are different means of submitting the form. Per IRS.gov Instructions for Form W-7.

You can mail Form W-7, your tax return (if applicable) or other documents required by an exception, and the documentation described under Supporting Documentation Requirements, earlier, to:

Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

If you mail your application, don’t use the mailing address in the instructions for your tax return.

You can use a private delivery services. If you use a private delivery service, submit your Form W-7, your tax return (if applicable) or other documents required by an exception, and the documentation described under Supporting Documentation Requirements, earlier, to:                                 

Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation

Mail Stop 6090-AUSC

3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35

Austin, TX 78741-0000

You can deliver the documents in person. You can apply for your ITIN by visiting designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs). They can verify original documentation and certified copies of the documentation from the issuing agency for primary and secondary applicants and their dependents.

Service at TACs is by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 844-545-5640. See IRS.gov/W7DocumentVerification for a list of designated TACs that offer ITIN document authentication service.

Allow 7 weeks for the IRS to notify you of your ITIN application status (9 to 11 weeks if you submit the application during peak processing periods (January 15 through April 30) or if you’re filing from overseas)

Where to send an ITIN?

Hi @KurtL1,

Thanks for your quick response. I have another issue, I have my federal tax return "1040 form" and my state tax return "1040 form", which were filled them out together with my wife. She has been living with me for almost seven months in the US and she wants to get her ITIN. Do I have to send a copy of her "W7 form" together with my federal "1040 form" to Austin and another copy of her "W7 form" together with my state (Michigan) 1040 form to Lansing? Additionally, Can she apply for her ITIN number with almost seven months of residency in the US? and Lastly, The last year when I requested my tax refund I was single and I got around 1700 dollars but now I just got married and have filled my tax return together with my wife and I will receive a double. What is the reason for that if my wife is not working and my salary only raised 6%?

Thanks

Arturo

Thanks

Arturo  

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Where to send an ITIN?

You are welcome on my first response. 

To answer your new questions:

1) Do I have to send a copy of her "W-7 form" together with my federal "1040 form" to Austin and another copy of her "W-7 form" together with my state (Michigan) 1040 form to Lansing?

You would submit the W-7 with your Federal 1040 only. You cannot mail your state return in at this time. When you receive the ITIN letter back from the IRS you would then enter her ITIN instead of a Social Security Number in the My Info section and then print and mail in your state return. 

2) Can she apply for her ITIN number with almost seven months of residency in the US? 

Yes, there is not a number of days as resident requirement to request an ITIN. The only restriction is that she is not eligible to apply for a Social Security Number at the time she submits the W-7.

3)  The last year when I requested my tax refund I was single and I got around 1700 dollars but now I just got married and have filled my tax return together with my wife and I will receive a double. 

Using the Married Filing Jointly filing status when you file together allows you to double your Standard Deduction and use a more favorable tax table. You are the only one with wages, but the tax table is taxing your income as if you both could be working.

Because your wife has been in the U.S. for over 183 days in 2019 she is considered a Resident Alien for tax purposes. You are able to use Form 1040 when you file your joint return.

When mailing in the federal return and the state return do not forget to attach a copy of your W-2 to the tax forms.

Where to send an ITIN?

Hi @KurtL1,

I really appreciate your help. I have received the ITIN of my wife and I would like to ask you if I have to send the federal tax return again. I mean, I already sent this form when I requested the ITIN. If so, which address do I need to send the form?   

Thanks,

Arturo

Where to send an ITIN?

Hi @KurtL1 ,

I also would like to ask you if it is possible to e-file my tax return once I get ITIN for my spouse. As you know, I have already printed my tax return and I sent it to IRS to get my ITIN, maybe this could restrict to e-file my tax return. I have received the ITIN number and I think e-file is faster than mail.

Thanks,

Arturo

AlexanderS08
Expert Alumni

Where to send an ITIN?

You only file by one method, either e-filing or by mail. Because you said "I have already printed my tax return and sent it to the IRS" it sounds like you already filed by mail so you will not e-File the return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies