turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aemike09

Where to enter total finance charges paid for rv as they do not give you a 1098 forum

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Where to enter total finance charges paid for rv as they do not give you a 1098 forum

If you are using TurboTax Deluxe Online, just enter them under the Home Mortgage Interest Section as if you received a Form 1098. Just make sure that you keep accurate records of your RV interest payments in case the IRS questions your deduction.

Please note that you will only get the benefit of these deduction if you itemize on your return and if all your itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.

You can put this interest expense under your home section because the IRS considers this a second home for tax purposes.

To enter your RV Interest in TurboTax Online (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Your Home”
  5. Choose "show more", then Mortgage Interest and Refinancing and follow the onscreen instructions

You would only get to deduct any taxes that the state charged you based on the value of your mobile home. These taxes goes under the personal property tax section:

To enter your RV property taxes in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Cars and Other Things You Own”
  5. Choose "show more", then Personal Property Taxes and follow the onscreen instructions

Additionally, if you paid sales tax on this purchase and are taking a state sales tax deduction (as opposed to taking a state income tax deduction) on Schedule A, you can add these sales tax a the tax on a major purchase.

To enter your sales taxes in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

2. Next click on “Deductions & Credits”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Estimates and Other Taxes Paid ”
  5. Choose "show more", then Sales Tax (start/update/revisit)
  6. Choose - continue to sales tax and choose "Easy Guide
  7. On the screen that says Major Purchase - select "yes" enter your RV sales information here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies