Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is the option for the Recovery Rebate Credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After the Other Tax Situations section of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify,  you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

After the Other Tax Situations section of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify,  you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

Edacklin

The answer previously submitted but........ If you have to submit an amended return on Form 1040-X, the Recovery Rebate Credit goes away and you loose it.  Is this a glitch in the TurboTax program of a mistake by IRS in their design of 1040-X?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The 2020 version of Form 1040X won't be released until March.   When the form is available, the recovery rebate won't ''go away''.   @Edacklin

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I filed my taxes via TT online 2/12 but I never saw any information pertaining to the Recovery Rebate Credit. I did not qualify for any of the Stimulus checks but today 2/15 I receive in the "mail" a letter from the IRS titled Recovery Rebate Credit.  That led me to go to the IRS website in which I read "Generally, if you were a US citizen or US resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a SS # that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recover Rebate Credit. Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjust gross income (AGI) is more than ..... "75,000 for eligible individuals filing as single"...... I'm guessing this after the fact now but why didn't TT questionnaire lead me to this ? I would have liked to know if I qualified for the credit or not.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax you must go through this section in order to file your return. It's possible you missed the option to enter the correct amount of the stimulus payments you actually received. For several weeks now this has been part of the step-by-step process in order to e-file. The screens for this credit are under the 'Federal Review' tab.

It's not clear why you believe you do not qualify for any of the stimulus checks.

Review your 1040 to see if there is an amount on line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit. If not, and you believe you are entitled to a credit you can amend your return.  Amended forms for the federal return will be available March 25th.

If the return is processed, and it is accepted by the IRS, this require preparing an amended return. 

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview  
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

In reviewing my 1040, my line 30 is blank. In reviewing your screenshot, perhaps I missed the "We didn't get a stimulus payment" option but I'm not 100% and unfortunately, I can't go back into my return to review all of the questions that were asked, similar to the TT Deluxe download versions I've been using for the past 23 years. This year I thought I'd try the online version but now I can clearly see there are limitations. 1) can only file one return under1 account name, I'll come back to that in a minute, 2) Can't review your input answers after the return has been transmitted, 3) More expensive.  When I log into my TT online account , I see my prepopulated email address which is my account ID and then I type my PW. I read to start "another" person's tax return, I would need to create a new "id" but can keep the same email address. How is that done if my email address is the user ID?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online, you can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

See also this TurboTax Help.

TurboTax will allow you to create up to five user ID's attached to one email address.

TT view.jpg

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you able to click Tax Home down the left hand side of the screen?  Does that bring you to your 2020 tax return?

Then you are able to follow these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies