Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

agold352

Where do you add your IP PIN?

When I filed my taxes there was no question asking me for my IP PIN Number.  So my taxes got rejected.  When I logged back into Turbo tax they said I needed to fix my return, so I clicked the blue button.  When the screen change it brought me to the place to enter my IP PIN Number and then e-filed it.  There isn't a page when you initially do your taxes for the IP PIN Number.  I was so relieved.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am attaching the following instructions for your reference.  Hope the information helps!  Make sure you click on the blue links to expand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

View solution in original post

67 Replies

Thanks for sharing but you had this issue last year, as did I and it still has not been fixed. We have to submit our returns, wait for them to get rejected, then fix them and resubmit. That hardly sounds like the correct process and Quicken has let this remain a problem for over a year now. I guess it is time to look for a different service and I surely can't recommend this program at this this time and they don't even provide an appropriate response, only someone else that has had the same problem and worked through it. Thanks again.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I am attaching the following instructions for your reference.  Hope the information helps!  Make sure you click on the blue links to expand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

the reply i got said to open my return and search for IP Pin but there is no place to do that. i can see the box on my federal return where the number is supposed to go when i view my federal filing forms, but there is no place in any of the pages that i worked on to do my return to include that pin number. what should i do?

How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead.
  4. Select Continue.

Un F---ING believable!  Same problem, TurboTax Home & Business 2019 (up-to-date as of April 4, 2020).

TurboTax NEVER asks me for the IP PIN during the Step by Step process and the e-Filing process, and the returns are rejected.

There is no way to "Search" for IP PIN in TurboTax.

It turns out to be located on the "Info Wks", and copied to the Form 1040 - but the IP PIN line on the Form 1040 is NOT linked to the Info Wks so you can just click through to it.

HOW INCOMPETENT ARE YOU, INTUIT!

write2ap

This information is completely wrong! There is no where in TurboTax to Search and put in "IP PIN" while in your return. 

The correct answer is: 

While in your return - Click on the "Federal" Link on the left side of your screen.

It will then take you to the Federal taxes page. On top of the page you will see Other Tax Situations click on that link. It will take you to another page where you will find Enter IP PIN (it is halfway down the list).

I had to call TurboTax and the guy on the phone could not find it. He asked two supervisor before we found it.  Ridiculous! I hope this helps. 

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

To go directly to the area of your tax return to enter your IP PIN, be sure that you are inside your tax return and then use the following steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “IP PIN” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to IP PIN
  • Click on the blue “Jump to IP PIN” link and enter your information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ss_zumbo

I am only able to insert a 5 character IP PIN.  The one I received from the IRS is 6 characters.  ???

@Ss_zumbo wrote:

I am only able to insert a 5 character IP PIN.  The one I received from the IRS is 6 characters.  ???

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

denmiami

why wasn't this fixed from last year? 

i just received a letter from the IRS with a new pin numberwhich is 6 digits, but the software only allow the entry of 5 digits???? THIS SAME PROBLEM CAUSED A DELAY IN MY FILING LAST YEAR AND NOW ITS

'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!  VERY FRUSTRATING- YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!

There are two PINs - the 6 digit IPPIN that the IRS mails to you and the 5 digit filing pin to electronically sign your tax return.

They are entered in different places.

The IPPIN is entered as DoninGa said above.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@denmiami wrote:

why wasn't this fixed from last year? 

i just received a letter from the IRS with a new pin numberwhich is 6 digits, but the software only allow the entry of 5 digits???? THIS SAME PROBLEM CAUSED A DELAY IN MY FILING LAST YEAR AND NOW ITS

'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!  VERY FRUSTRATING- YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!

The IP PIN entry has always been available in the TuboTax software.

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

nccsa186

@AnnetteB6  I dare you to post a screenshot of this. There is no "Jump to PIN" button in the help.
You are useless.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@nccsa186  There is a big difference between the 5-digit self-selected PIN you are asking about and the 6-digit IP PIN provided by the IRS for those who request or require a higher level of ID protection on their tax return.  If you are looking for a Jump to PIN link, then you are correct it doesn't exist.  But the link to the IP PIN does exist.  

Please see this link for more information, which we hope assists you:  Is my Self-Select PIN the same as my IP PIN?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies