Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I find my receipt for tax payment?

I paid my taxes owed when I filed my federal return in April. The payment came out of my bank account but I received a letter from the IRS yesterday saying I did not pay.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You do not get a receipt for paying your tax due.   Your only proof that you paid will be your own bank or credit card statement.   Provide a copy of your bank statement to the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your proof of payment is the canceled check, the debit on your bank account or the debit on your credit card, depending on how you chose to pay for the taxes owed.

Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out. Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the IRS or state for them to take it out of your account. And the IRS or state does not update Turbo Tax when or if they get your payment.

So give the IRS a copy of your bank statement showing the payment coming out.   And better Check the printout or PDF of your return cover sheet with the Turbo Tax logo. If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.   

Or did the IRS change your return and asking for more?    Did you have a penalty on 1040 line 38?  That's just an estimated penalty.  It's common for the IRS to bill you for more penalty.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies