Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section.

TT cannot release the forms until the IRS approves the TT versions of them.
But see:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...>

When will the IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section.

It said they should be available today according to the email
AdmiralP

Just to be clear to all of those who have commented, it appears xmasbaby0 is a customer as well, and not a TT employee. This is not an official response from them so take that for what it is worth.

Most forms are scheduled to be updated today, January 18, but we don't know what time of day that means. TurboTax is programmed from California, and it's still early there. Try again later today or tonight.

This really makes me angry as my taxes have been DONE and PAID for for weeks and I have been waiting for today, January 18th as it states on the site that the forms needed WILL be finalized. However, after a call to customer service I am informed FALSELY that nobody can file until the 29th. While other tax preparers and systems are already allowing filing. Every year it is a fight for me to claim my son as I am his custodial parent. It his non custodial parent had his social and claims him before me every year. Had the information been CORRECT I would not have paid Turbo tax and would have contacted another company!!
dclouse33

I am receiving a similar annoying complication/message. I am on the final part where attempting to "file". It has three steps: 1) We've prepared your Federal and Indiana Taxes for free (green check) 2) Your Refund/payment info (grayed out, no green check mark) 3) Get ready to save and file your returns (also grayed out, no green check mark).
It says under each one of these: The IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section.
I think it should be a little more detailed. It doesn't say anything like waiting on an email or anything like that. I've never had problems with TurboTax before but this specific issue has a me also wanting to withdraw my filing and go else where.
This particular part has me feeling like I did something wrong or I'm simply missing a "next" button.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The delay is due to the Tax Reform bill that was passed in late December. The IRS waited to see which of the changes affected 2017 returns.  While you CAN file before Jan 29, the IRS will not start processing anything until that date, so there is no benefit to rushing.

@kaylaholder   Ask your attorney to file a Cease and Desist order against the noncustodial parent.

@SweetieJean I live in Florida where we have equal rights to the child and we both have assumed custody unless you go to court and fight for sole custody. I don’t have any reason to have sole custody as he’s not a bad father but my child is only with him about 2 days a week and not consecutively, that’s if I add hours together so he has no right to claim him as he lives with me and I support him 12 months out of the year. So whoever files first ultimately claims the child.

You can call the place he/she files and tell them the situation and they will note it in his/her file that they can’t claim them.

Actually, you CANNOT "file" before Jan 29.   Sending the return to TurboTax's e-file servers is not "filing".  Only when the return gets sent to the IRS processing system (after it passes the checks in the IRS e-file system and "accepted") is the return "filed".   The IRS processing system will not be operational until Jan 29.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Yeah but our documents were suppose to be available today so we could sign and file but they aren’t

Today is not over.  Updates are usually done at night.   The form availability list is the expected date subject to delays.   You still cannot "file" only submit and there is no advantage in doing that.

Although TurboTax is accepting some e-filed returns now they are NOT being e-filed to the IRS which will not
process any return until January 29.   TurboTax stores those returns filed early until the IRS opens for business,  only then will you get an e-mail telling you if the return was accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Only the simplest returns can be transmitted to TurboTax now.    Many forms will not be finalized until Jan 25 and some later then that.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...>

Why does TurboTax allow early filing?  Because their competitors do - It is a marketing ploy.

Filing early with TurboTax before the IRS opens on Jan 29 is a really BAD IDEA.

1) If you discover something that is wrong on your return, receive a W-2 that is different, receive some other tax document that was not on the return that you filed then there is NOTHING that you can do about it other than wait to see if the IRS accepts or rejects the return after Jan 29.  If rejected you can correct and file again, but if accepted then the only remedy is to amend which can take 4 months to process.

2) You must remember to check back after Jan 29 (or check for an e-mail) to confirm that the IRS has accepted or rejected the return.  If rejected, then it was never filed at all and must be corrected and re-filed.  Every year many taxpayers that file early, forget to check back and only discover months later that they never actually filed because if was rejected by the IRS but they had forgotten about checking back after filing with TurboTax.

3) While the IRS does conduct some pre-Jan 29 polling tests and does accept some returns early, they will not process those until Jan 29.  There is a reason to test and that is to discover any problems with it's systems.  A couple of years ago a test went bad and several thousand "test" returns were lost.   The IRS was able to recover those but it delayed refunds for some by months.

There is no real advantage to file before the IRS opens on Jan 29, but there are disadvantages to do so.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@kaylaholder The IRS cares about who the child spent the most nights with.  See this:
Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected:
If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies