Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

what state should i file income tax

my daughter went to graduate school as a student in illinois and paid 20000 by school's research money from 1/1/23-5/31/23. after then she went to work in PA from 6/1/23 to now. her drivers license and vote registration are still in TX.  no one will claim her as a dependent. which state should she file income tax?

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TX has no state income tax so TX is not an issue.  The fact that she has a TX drivers license or voter registration is irrelevant.     She needs to file part year returns for IL and PA.    She lived and worked in IL and in PA during 2023 and is subject to paying tax in both of those states.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901227-how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901560-how-do-i-file-if-i-moved-to-a-different-state-last-year

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Is she living in PA as her permanent residence or is this an internship or something?

Since TX does not have a state tax, she obviously does not need to file a resident return.  However, she will need to file an Illinois non resident return for the time she was a student and earned money in IL. If she is not staying in PA, and only there temporarily, then she will need to file a PA non resident return as well claiming the income she received while working in PA.

If her move to PA is permanent, or not just a temporary thing for a temporary job (meaning she plans to be there less than a year and will then return to TX), then she will need to file a PA resident return, claiming the income she earned while living in PA and a IL non-resident return for the income she earned while living there.  

Either way, she will need to file 2 state returns, it just depends on her intentions in PA. 

Multiple states- Where to file

Part year resident returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies