How do I file a part-year state return?
If you were a resident of 2 different states during the tax year (for example, if you moved from one state to another), you'll normally file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state.
TurboTax handles part-year returns, but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly to trigger the part-year state interviews:
- With your return open, select Personal Info.
- Click Edit next to your name.
- Select your resident state from the State of Residence drop-down.
- Answer Yes at the line below (that you lived in another state during 2015).
- Select your former state from the Previous state of residence drop-down.
- Enter the date you became a resident of your new state. This can be the date you arrived in that state.
- Select Continue to return to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- Repeat Steps 3-5 for your spouse, if needed.
After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to State Taxes, where you'll see your part-year states listed. We suggest you prepare the return for the state you currently live in, followed by your former state.
Important: If you also see a nonresident state return on the State Taxes tab, complete that return before you work on your part-year return(s) to ensure your tax credits are calculated correctly.