If you were a resident of two different states during the tax year (for example, if you moved from one state to another), you'll normally file part-year returns in both states, assuming each state collects income tax and you had income in each state.
TurboTax handles part-year returns, but you need to make sure you've set up your personal information correctly for us to do so. We'll ask about where you lived in 2021 when you set up your personal information.
If you need to add this information after you've begun your return:
- Sign in to Turbo Tax and select Personal Info.
- A Personal info summary screen will pop up.
- Question number 2 asks you the state(s) you lived in during 2021. Select your state of residence from a drop-down menu.
- You'll also be asked if you lived in another state in 2021. Answer Yes and a new section will appear asking for your previous state of residence. Select the other state you lived in.
- Fill out the date of when you moved to your current state.
- If the rest of your information is accurate, select the blue Continue button in the lower-right corner of the screen.
After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State section, where you'll see your part-year states listed. We suggest you prepare the return for your former state first, followed by the return for the state you currently live in.
Important: If you also see a nonresident state return in the State section, complete that return before you work on your part-year return(s) to ensure your tax credits are calculated correctly.