turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abysass

Do i have to pay self exployment tax on salary i recieve from my disregarded llc if i have a have a overall loss in income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Do i have to pay self exployment tax on salary i recieve from my disregarded llc if i have a have a overall loss in income

you cannot be an employee of a dis-regarded entity -- you are  sole proprietor and report entity incomes and expenses on schedule-C

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

you cannot be an employee of a dis-regarded entity -- you are  sole proprietor and report entity incomes and expenses on schedule-C

The only way to avoid this is to elect to be treated as a corporation.  This election is made by filing Form 8832. Did you do so?

If your LLC is really a "disregarded" entity then you should not be taking a "salary" or "wages" from the LLC.  The LLC is disregarded and all its income or loss, with any "wage" or "salary" not counted as an expense, is reported by you on your own Schedule C.  If the "bottom line" of the Schedule C is positive (income) then that's your income and that's the starting point for calculating Self Employment tax.

Tom Young

Hal_Al
Level 15

What if he has two schedule C's. Is SET calculated on each one separately or on the net income from both?

Self employment tax is on all sch C (per taxpayer) so they would be combined and take into account any W2 SS box 4.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies