Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ax22eturn

What does it mean when it says ready to mail

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

"Ready to mail"  means that you did not e-file and that your tax return is waiting for you to print, sign and mail it yourself.  Even if you did mail it, it will continue to say "ready to mail" on you r account because the software has no way to know that you put your tax return in the mail.  If you did NOT e-file, and did NOT mail it yourself, then you have to mail it.

TurboTax does not mail your return for you.  You have to print it, sign it, and mail it yourself.  When you mail a tax return, you need to sign it on the bottom of the page where it says "Sign Here" and write in the date you signed it by the word "Date".  Attach copies of your W-2 and any other documents that show taxes withheld to the left side of the papers where it says "Attach Forms..."

When you print your return, it will print with filing instructions that tell you where to mail it.

It is not required, but is a good idea, to use a mailing service that will track your return or provide you with a receipt showing that the IRS got it--such as Fedex, UPS, or certified mail.

It will take about 4 weeks and then you can track the status of your return at the IRS website.

You can print your return by following the instructions below

1 Select the My Account drop down in the upper right and choose Print Center.

2 Under the Choose your option section, select which forms you want to print.

3 Click Print save or preview this year’s return.

4 Click Print.

5 Mail to the address specified in your return

Tip: You must be inside your return when you click on My Account 

To send your tax return by mail and get a receipt to see that the IRS received it:

https://www.usps.com/taxes/welcome.htm

To track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433

On the IRS site you are also offered the use of an app called IRS2Go

To change to e-filing:

1. Sign into your account.

2. Click on the My TurboTax menu ( See attachment) and select  Visit My Tax Timeline . 

3. Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return.  This allows you to get back into your return.)

4. Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.

5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.

6. Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.

7. This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to chance filing methods.

8. Change your filing method to E-file and click Save.

9. Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to e-file your return. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vargas13

Do I have to send it for I can get my return?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have chosen the mail option, you will need to mail your return in order for the IRS to process it and send your refund.

Please refer to the following help article to print and mail your return through TurboTax Online.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for this information I was able to change my state from "File by mail"  to  "E-file", using the step below.

To change to e-filing:

1. Sign into your account.

2. Click on the My TurboTax menu ( See attachment) and select  Visit My Tax Timeline . 

3. Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return.  This allows you to get back into your return.)

4. Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.

5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.

6. Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.

7. This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to chance filing methods.

8. Change your filing method to E-file and click Save.

9. Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to e-file your return. 

white_taco
Returning Member

Thanks for this it helped me out alot. Jesus christ will bless you for this.

What does it mean when your federal taxes say it ready to be mail 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

"Ready to mail" means that your return was not e-filed and that you need to print it and mail it yourself.

If you selected to file by mail, you can change your filing method so you can e-file:

1. Log in to your account
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2019, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just to open your return).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

I prepared my 2019 returns in the IRS Free File version of Turbotax to qualify for a stimulus payment. But because I have no income I couldn't e-file. While I have a receipt and receipt number from Turbotax that they were prepared, they still have to be mailed. Can I just go fill out the new form on the IRS site instead? I'm kind of scared to go to the post office! Turbotax doesn't submit information to the IRS just through preparing, does it?

Thanks

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, If you're more comfortable doing that, it will be fine.

This is a link to an IRS Free File Option:    IRS Free File

thank you!!

that link in your comment does not work, by the way. here is the link I used on the IRS site for the non-filers. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-fi[product key removed]nt-info-here

more info is here https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

jdogdman

I can't see any tracking details of my tax return

jdogdman

also it could be a software issue in the system that's why it saids that and plus mine says that too

valyoun

I prefer to e-file but it keeps saying that i have a duplicate return.. i did go on to the IRS non filter portal to get my stimulus check however i deleted the return and decided to file my 2019 instead but it still will not let me E-File and if i mail it in the IRS will not process until after the COVID-19 Pandemic.. I’m so confused 

When you used the non-filers form on the IRS web site, did you finish it and get an email that it was accepted? 

Because if it was accepted, that means you efiled through that.

You can't efile again.

You can file an amended return.

Also, you can send in a paper return and make a notation at the top that it is an amendment to an efile you did through that portal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies