turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I put on my W-4 if I am being claimed as a dependent for next years taxes? I was a stay at home mom for most of 2021.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What do I put on my W-4 if I am being claimed as a dependent for next years taxes? I was a stay at home mom for most of 2021.

If you will be claimed as a dependent then YOU cannot have dependents of your own so on the W-4 just click the single option and you are done with that form. Now ... are you really going to be a qualifying dependent ? If you are not in college under the age of 24 then if you make more than $4300 you cannot be claimed as a dependent. IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Use the Tax Withholding Estimator on the IRS web site to figure out what to put on your W-4 form.

Tax Withholding Estimator

But who is going to claim you as a dependent? You didn't give any information about your living situation. Are you married? If so, your spouse cannot claim you as a dependent, and probably no one else can, either. If you are not married, it's unlikely that anyone can legitimately claim you as a dependent if you are working, even if they provide a large portion of your support.

Try using the tool at the following link on the IRS web site. Pretend that you are the person who wants to claim you as a dependent, and see if it says they can claim you.

Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies