Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

njmccale

What do I do for box 13, on my W-2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SamiaI
Employee Tax Expert

Box 13 – This box has 3 check boxes in it: Statutory Employee, Retirement Plan, and Third Party Sick Pay. These boxes will be checked or left unchecked by your employer. If it's checked, you also check the Box in TurboTax, if it's unchecked, leave it blank.

A statutory employee is someone who is treated like an employee but didn’t have any taxes withheld from their paycheck (this occurs frequently with employees who are 100% commission). Having the “Retirement Plan” box checked means you had access to a retirement plan such as 401k at work, which may limit your ability to get tax incentives for other retirement plans like an IRA. Third-party sick pay means that you received payments for sick time from a company other than the one that employed you, such as their insurance company. Generally those payments were not included in the wages on your W-2.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SamiaI
Employee Tax Expert

Box 13 – This box has 3 check boxes in it: Statutory Employee, Retirement Plan, and Third Party Sick Pay. These boxes will be checked or left unchecked by your employer. If it's checked, you also check the Box in TurboTax, if it's unchecked, leave it blank.

A statutory employee is someone who is treated like an employee but didn’t have any taxes withheld from their paycheck (this occurs frequently with employees who are 100% commission). Having the “Retirement Plan” box checked means you had access to a retirement plan such as 401k at work, which may limit your ability to get tax incentives for other retirement plans like an IRA. Third-party sick pay means that you received payments for sick time from a company other than the one that employed you, such as their insurance company. Generally those payments were not included in the wages on your W-2.

32slytp6

My w2 c was corrected with retirement plan box checked do I have to amend my return because of this

eblanco
Returning Member

I have this same situation; my former employer sent me a W-2c, but the only "corrected" item is Box 13, where the retirement plan box is now checked. This does not seem to change the amount I owe, but I am not sure if I still need to file an amended return. Please advise.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you probably don't have to amend your return unless you made an IRA contribution during the year. 

If you made an IRA contribution, you should start the amendment process, make the change in your W-2 and see if it changes your results. If there is no change you do not need to file the amendment. 

If you used TurboTax Online:

1. Log in to your account and select 2021, then Amend using TurboTax Online.
  2. Answer the first few questions, then select your reason for amending.
  3. Add or edit the information you need to change.
  4. Continue until you have answered all of the questions, including the explanation for the amendment. Do not submit your amendment until your original return is processed. 

If you used our CD/download product:

1. Sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”
  2. Answer the first few questions, then select your reason for amending.
  3. Add or edit the information you need to change.
  4. Continue until you have answered all of the questions, including the explanation for the amendment. Do not submit your amendment until your original return is processed. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

My name is [PII removed]. I am trying to finish my taxes and have been stuck on this one thing. My W-2 for Family Dollar doesn't show anything in box 13. But it won't let me continue without putting anything in the space. I looked up what to do on Google, and it told me that if it's not checked, which looks unchecked, I can leave it blank. I tried to do that, but it keeps telling me that there is an error. I don't know what to do anymore and I am getting so annoyed because I have been working on solving it since March 8th. It is currently April 15th. I am not sure what to do and the so-called help that I paid extra for isn't helpful. I thought they were supposed to assist me as it had said. But no. What is the point of paying $150 on a TurboTax assistant if they aren't going to help you? So, if I can get some assistance with my taxes as I paid for, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

[PII removed]

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you were not a statutory employee or had an employee retirement  plan or third party sick pay in Box 12, there does not need to be a checkmark in Box 13. If you did have one of those the employer may have failed to check the box.

You may wish to delete this Form W-2, especially if it was imported, and enter it manually. 

To delete a damaged form, you can use Delete Forms

1. In the left menu, select Tax Tools
  2. Select Tools
  3. Select Delete a form
  4. Scroll to the Form 1099 or W-2 that is duplicated and click Delete on the right
  5. Then scroll to the bottom and select Continue with my return

Now, go back to Wages and Income, on the left menu

1. Scroll down to Wages and Salaries and click Show More
  2. Click Start or Revisit for Wages and Salaries (W-2
  3. Add a W-2

You can upload the form or use Type it in myself and Continue.

If you need extra time and file an extension, it will waive failure-to-file penalties until October 18th. However, if you would have owed tax on April the 18th, the IRS will assess monthly late payment penalties and interest until you pay.

I recommend to extend your return with a TurboTax Extension and also pay your best guess of anything you may owe. If you overpay, it will be refunded. If you underpay, it will only calculate penalties on the part that was not paid.

TurboTax has a tool called TaxCaster to give you an idea of your tax liability and/or refund. You can vary different items and see how that could impact your return. Click for TaxCaster

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies