Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sariley73

Do I include the amount I paid a contract worker in my business income, and deduct the amount as an expense? When I do this, I only get back $1 K of the $5K I paid them.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Do I include the amount I paid a contract worker in my business income, and deduct the amount as an expense? When I do this, I only get back $1 K of the $5K I paid them.

If you paid someone for working for you, you don't include it in income. It is not income, it is an expense.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Yes you want to claim all your expenses.  It is not a 1 to 1 Deduction.  It lowers your Net Profit on Schedule C so you pay less income tax and less self employment tax on it.  You never get back all your deductions and expenses.
sariley73

I guess wages seems like they should be a 1 to 1 deduction, since they're making it and I'm not.

Well they are a 100% Deduction.  I didn't say that very good. It just doesn't directly reduce the tax by the same amount.  You just get a percentage back.  You are paying about 15% self employment tax on you Profit so adding expenses only saves the 15%.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you paid someone for working for you, you don't include it in income. It is not income, it is an expense.

sariley73

So, I don't include that amount in my self-employed income and then expense it in the Contract Labor part? I deduct the amount from my income and still expense it in the Contract Labor part?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You neither add it to or subtract it from your income. Enter your income, what you made, as income. Deduct your expenses afterward.

Depends,  you have to report all your income.  But you don't enter this expense as both income and expense.  
sariley73

I guess I meant business receivables, as opposed to my income.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

What is the difference in your mind? If you were paid, or you earned, or you received payment in the amount of $10k, that is what you enter as income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies