Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We didn't get a third stimulus check last year, but did get a letter this year

TurboTax is very particular in asking if we received a third stimulus check between March and May 2021. I have been incredibly careful to check all deposits into our accounts for a third stimulus check last year, looking throughout the year not just between March and May 2021. We have not received one.

However, we have received a letter from the US Department Treasury in January of this year (2022) saying that we do qualify for a third stimulus check. So far, we have not received it. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@DoctorWho   Yes you figured it out.  The 8400 in April 2021 was for the 3rd Stimulus payment.  You don't enter the 1st or 2nd rounds on your 2021 return.

The first 2 Stimulus checks were for 2020.  The first one was 1200 (2400 married) and 600 for each dependent under 17.  The 2nd one was 600 per person and dependent under 17.  It came out in Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 but went on your 2020 tax return.

The latest 3rd stimulus came out starting in March 2021 and is 1400 per person no age limit.  The IRS also sent out letter 6475 telling you how much they sent you.   They send letter 6475 to each spouse for half.  But you need to enter the total .  

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Letter 6475 is telling you how much the IRS already sent you.  Not what you qualify for.  They send letter 6475 to each spouse for half. But you need to enter the total .   The 3rd Stimulus is 1400 per person, 2800 for Joint.  

Double check your bank accounts and check your IRS account (both if married) to see how much the IRS sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you didn't get the 3rd Stimulus check but the IRS shows they sent it to you then request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

@VolvoGirl thank you for your detailed explanations! Even though I marked my original post as Not a Question, it is becoming a question. I'll have to go into details because I am still uncertain what is going on. (It's frustrating because I thought it was clear 30 minutes ago.)

I have been incredibly careful in reviewing what deposits have gone into our accounts. I know that we have received only two stimulus checks.  I have decided to go to the IRS link you provided to see what it shows. When I go to that link it presents me with a button that says, "Sign in to your Online Account") I do not recall ever haven't gone to that website to create an account. What account are they referring to?

It is an account where you can request documents, view documents and make tax payments with the IRS.

Honestly, this is becoming the most confusing thing I've ever dealt with, concerning income taxes, the IRS, etc. 

Before I continue, I want to reiterate that I have been EXTREMELY CAREFUL to check all our accounts to make CERTAIN that I know exactly how much stimulus money we received. I am filing for my wife and myself, married filing jointly.

In further efforts to disambiguate things, I'm going to provide details.

In February 2021 we received a letter from the IRS telling us that we received a $1200 stimulus check. That check arrived and we deposited it into one of our accounts.

In April 2021 we received a form letter from the White House, telling us that a check had been sent to us for $8400. We received that check and deposited it into the same account as the $1200 check.

Then in January 2022 my wife received a letter from the IRS saying that we were issued a check for $4200. We never received that check. 

In February 2022 I received a letter from the IRS saying that we were issued a check for $4200. We never received that check.

I admit that when I looked at both letters, I thought they were duplicate letters, because all I looked at was the body of the letters, which are identical. I didn't look at who it was addressed to, until @VolvoGirl said in this message thread, that the IRS sent two letters, both Letter 6475, specifying half the amount. I verified that both letters are Letter 6475 letters.

I have to say that for me it muddles understanding a lot. Neither of these Letter 6475's said anything about being half of a third stimulus payment. In fact, neither said anything about being a third stimulus payment. When we received the $8400 check in 2021, we thought it was the second stimulus payment. We heard that some people weren't getting a third stimulus check, so we thought that we were one of thouse not getting a third check. I didn't even think that a third check might be coming our way, until January and February of this year.

This covers all the letters we've received about stimulus payments (4 letters) and checks (2 checks).

Now, I'm trying to make sense of this complicated situation. Here are the possible solutions I can think of. There may be other solutions I've not thought of.

Solution 1: The $8400 check we received in April 2021 was the second stimulus check. So we're still due a third check, for $8400. (Or maybe two checks for $4200 each. I don't know. If the IRS wants to send two Letter 6475 to us telling us hald of the third payment, maybe they'll also send us two checks for the third payment.) It seems a coincidence that the amount for the second stimulus check and the third stimulus check are exactly the same. For that reason I have my doubts that this is the correct solution, but I could be wrong, it might be.

Solution 2: There's some second stimulus check and letter that we've never received. I've no idea how much that could have been for.

When I went to that link on Q&A on the third economic impact statement, it said something about doing an income tax filing for 2020 if you didn't get a first or second stimulus check! I don't understand that at all. All of the checks we received were in 2021. I am very confused as to what's happen and more importantly what I'm supposed to do next? I'm wondering if that Your Online Account is the wrong place to go, if I'm supposed to do a filing for a 2020 or some earlier year.

I believe I've found the confusion. My wife says she thought we got a stimulus check in 2020. I've gone through our records for 2020 (which I hadn't done before, because I thought all stimulus checks came in 2021). We got a "CARES Stimulus" check in June 2020. I believe that was our first stimulus check. So the $1200 check was really our second check, and we really did get a third stimulus check for $8400.

I hope that someone else will benefit from my struggle in this. Thank you to those who've helped me with this confusing issue.

AJN3
Level 1

I entered the amount from the letter and it determined based on my income from last year I had received all I was to receive and I could not take the credit either.

@DoctorWho   Yes you figured it out.  The 8400 in April 2021 was for the 3rd Stimulus payment.  You don't enter the 1st or 2nd rounds on your 2021 return.

The first 2 Stimulus checks were for 2020.  The first one was 1200 (2400 married) and 600 for each dependent under 17.  The 2nd one was 600 per person and dependent under 17.  It came out in Dec 2020 - Feb 2021 but went on your 2020 tax return.

The latest 3rd stimulus came out starting in March 2021 and is 1400 per person no age limit.  The IRS also sent out letter 6475 telling you how much they sent you.   They send letter 6475 to each spouse for half.  But you need to enter the total .  

I have letters 6475 saying that the IRS sent me and my wife a third stimulus check for $1400 each but we have not received such a payment.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Since the IRS reports sending the payments you should indicate on your tax return the amounts in your letters.  Then start tracer action with the IRS to recover he missing payment.   Here is an IRS link with instructions.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I never receive my stimulus check at all. i signed up for it but never received it.

@ctblake4176 What do you mean by "signed up for it?" 

The first EIP --or stimulus check--- was issued in 2020  It was for $1200 for adults and $500 for a dependent under the age of 17.   The IRS used information from either your 2019 or 2020 tax return to issue those checks so they could send them out in a hurry.

The 2nd EIP or stimulus was issued in late 2020 or early 2021 and was $600 for adults and $600 for dependents under age 17.

If you did not receive the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus check you can get it by filing a 2020 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   It will end up on line 30 of a 2020 tax return and will be added to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

The 3rd EIP--or stimulus check-- was sent out in mid-March or later in 2021 and was for $1400 per person--adults and dependents no age limit.

If you did not get the 3rd EIP payment you can get it by filing a 2021 tax return and using the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review.   The credit will go on line 30 of your Form 1040 and will add to your refund (or reduce your tax due).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
gregmacc

Where do I enter that I was not given my wife and my third Economic Stimulus Payment  2022 of $2800.?

That goes on your 2021 return.   You either have to file 2021 or amend the one you filed.  Did you have an amount on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit?  That was it.

EIP3 The 3rd Stimulus payment started going out in March 2021 and is for 1,400 for each person listed on your tax return, no age limit. The IRS used your 2020 (or 2019) return to send the checks out fast. If your 2021 return changes and you qualify for more you can claim the extra as the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30. But line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more. Not the amount you already got. The IRS also sent out letter 6475 to tell you how much they sent you . If you are married then each spouse should get a letter for half.

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account to see when and what they sent you (check both spouse's accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies