turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bcmlw4l

We adopted our daughter from foster care in Nov 2018 and changed her name and SSN. On Form 8839 we listed her with previous name and SSN. Is this going to be a problem?

We adopted our daughter from foster care in Nov 2018 and changed her name and SSN. We completed Form 8839 but listed her with her previous name and SSN. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to amend? We did receive her updated birth certificate and new SS card but we didn't receive that until Jan 2019.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We adopted our daughter from foster care in Nov 2018 and changed her name and SSN. On Form 8839 we listed her with previous name and SSN. Is this going to be a problem?

Yes, your tax return needs to match current SSA records. 

If you used the prior name and SSN, you return will be rejected or you will be denied the tax credits.

Congratulations on your new daughter!

bcmlw4l

I checked on the status and it says it has been approved.

It was accepted because the SSN was not used on another tax return. I still foresee a potential issue with your credits and dependent deductions. However, you will be given an opportunity to provide the updated information if denied.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies