turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

W2 and 1099

Hello,

I work full time and receive my W2 form. On the side I work through a platform for dog boarding and receive 1099 from them. I am not registered as a business or have a business account. Do I just add the 1099 income to my income on my W2 form? And if yes, can I write off deductions on the 1099 income? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

W2 and 1099

@egoodhall wrote:

Thank you! And that would be okay to file even If I am not registered business or IC? I started through a platform not knowing I had to do that. 

No you do not need to register as a business, get a business license or get an employer identification number.  You just use your Social Security number and the address of your home when completing the Schedule C.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

W2 and 1099

No, you do NOT enter the income shown on the Form 1099-MISC as a W-2.

If the form 1099-MISC has your income entered in box 7 of the form then the IRS considers you a self-employed sole proprietor/independent contractor.  You must complete a Schedule C for the self-employment income and expenses.  To complete the Schedule C you will need to use the Self-Employed online edition.  Or you could use any of the TurboTax desktop editions.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for self-employment income - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/01/...

W2 and 1099

Hello and thank you for replying. It is a 1099-K form and income is listed in 1a and 1b.  So I should file my W-2 taxes and 1099-K form separately? Thank you

W2 and 1099

@egoodhall wrote:

Hello and thank you for replying. It is a 1099-K form and income is listed in 1a and 1b.  So I should file my W-2 taxes and 1099-K form separately? Thank you

Yes, you enter the W-2 and the 1099-K separately.  The 1099-K is also entered on a Schedule C.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a form 1099-K - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-enter-a-1099-k-in-turbotax-online...

W2 and 1099

Thank you! And that would be okay to file even If I am not registered business or IC? I started through a platform not knowing I had to do that. 

DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

W2 and 1099

@egoodhall wrote:

No you do not need to register as a business, get a business license or get an employer identification number.  You just use your Social Security number and the address of your home when completing the Schedule C.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies