turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ahma

UPS mailed tax documents to a Zip code different from the one on IRS website

I went to a UPS store today to mail my IRS and tax-related documents to the following address which was written clearly on IRS website, and the webpage was up to date and current:

Internal Revenue Service,
Austin, TX 73301

However, to my surprise, the UPS employee printed a different ship label, and said that when he enters the zip code on their computer system it brings the following address instead:

Austin, TX 73344 

Since my tax documents are important and personal pieces of information for me, I asked the UPS employee to send it to the exact address I want (based on IRS instructions), but he refused to do so saying that they send all tax-related documents to this address on a regular basis. In the store and on my laptop I went and searched IRS website and google, but could not find this exact zip code (73344) anywhere.  Why is that? I am now confused. If the address (Austin, TX 73344) - (and there was - 0001 printed after the zip code on the mailing label, to be exact) is a correct and acceptable one why on IRS website there is no mention of that? If Austin, TX 73301 (73301- 0057 to be exact) is the correct one that I should have mailed why UPS does not correct itself?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are going to use a private delivery service, such as UPS, then you have to use this Austin address

Austin - Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
3651 S IH35,
Austin TX 78741

See this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/submission-processing-center-street-addresses-for-private-delivery-servic...

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you are going to use a private delivery service, such as UPS, then you have to use this Austin address

Austin - Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
3651 S IH35,
Austin TX 78741

See this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/submission-processing-center-street-addresses-for-private-delivery-servic...

Carl
Level 15

While it does sound suspicious to me, you'd have to inquire with the IRS directly about that, or perhaps with your local post office (USPS, not UPS). The IRS phone number is 1-800-829-1040.  I'm surprised you allowed them to send it to an address not on the IRS website. Hopefully, you don't regret this in the future.

Hi, did you get your tax return finally? My tax return documents were also mailed to

Austin, TX 73344

by UPS.

I also do not know whether this address is right.

Thanks.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

There are several IRS buildings in Austin. See Where To File - Internal Revenue Service for address depending on circumstances.

Always track your mail to the IRS to guarantee a safe delivery.

@liu10435

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I know I should mail to 

Austin, TX 73301

However, the UPS employee said that when he enters this zip code on their computer system it changes automatically to 73344. The UPS employee said this address is OK for delivery. 

It has been 2 months since I mailed, and I have not receive my tax return and there is no change for tax return status online. So I wonder whether this address can deal with my tax return.

LBinNJ
Returning Member

I had this happen to me as well. I sent the return on May 2. It’s now Aug 6, and nothing. The “check your refund” site doesn’t recognize the correct info. 

Did you ever get confirmation that the IRS received it? Is this resolved? I’m afraid my return has been lost. (UPS does show it as delivered, but there was a hold up of a couple days while they did some kind of address change.)

I mailed it again with usps (with a note explaining this). And I received my tax return.

j2loo

@LBinNJ did you end up getting your return processed by the 73344 postal code? I just had the same problem where the UPS store forcibly changed my postal code. By the time I noticed it was already too late: the package was already shipped. Should I send another package or wait and see if it gets processed?

LBinNJ
Returning Member

So I mailed a second one to the correct zip code. Finally got a response ( I had some corrections ), I returned it in January, and am still waiting. I’m probably going to send in the return a third time. No idea what happened with the first return sent to the wrong zip code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies