ahma

UPS mailed tax documents to a Zip code different from the one on IRS website

I went to a UPS store today to mail my IRS and tax-related documents to the following address which was written clearly on IRS website, and the webpage was up to date and current:

Internal Revenue Service,
Austin, TX 73301

However, to my surprise, the UPS employee printed a different ship label, and said that when he enters the zip code on their computer system it brings the following address instead:

Internal Revenue Service,

Austin, TX 73344 

Since my tax documents are important and personal pieces of information for me, I asked the UPS employee to send it to the exact address I want (based on IRS instructions), but he refused to do so saying that they send all tax-related documents to this address on a regular basis. In the store and on my laptop I went and searched IRS website and google, but could not find this exact zip code (73344) anywhere.  Why is that? I am now confused. If the address (Austin, TX 73344) - (and there was - 0001 printed after the zip code on the mailing label, to be exact) is a correct and acceptable one why on IRS website there is no mention of that? If Austin, TX 73301 (73301- 0057 to be exact) is the correct one that I should have mailed why UPS does not correct itself?