ahma

UPS mailed tax documents to a Zip code different from the one on IRS website

I went to a UPS store today to mail my IRS and tax-related documents to the following address which was written clearly on IRS website, and the webpage was up to date and current:

Internal Revenue Service,
Austin, TX 73301

However, to my surprise, the UPS employee printed a different ship label, and said that when he enters the zip code on their computer system it brings the following address instead:

Internal Revenue Service,

Austin, TX 73344 

Since my tax documents are important and personal pieces of information for me, I asked the UPS employee to send it to the exact address I want (based on IRS instructions), but he refused to do so saying that they send all tax-related documents to this address on a regular basis. In the store and on my laptop I went and searched IRS website and google, but could not find this exact zip code (73344) anywhere.  Why is that? I am now confused. If the address (Austin, TX 73344) - (and there was - 0001 printed after the zip code on the mailing label, to be exact) is a correct and acceptable one why on IRS website there is no mention of that? If Austin, TX 73301 (73301- 0057 to be exact) is the correct one that I should have mailed why UPS does not correct itself?

If you are going to use a private delivery service, such as UPS, then you have to use this Austin address

Austin - Internal Revenue Submission Processing Center
3651 S IH35,
Austin TX 78741

See this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/filing/submission-processing-center-street-addresses-for-private-delivery-servic...

3651 S IH35,
Austin TX 78741

Carl

While it does sound suspicious to me, you'd have to inquire with the IRS directly about that, or perhaps with your local post office (USPS, not UPS). The IRS phone number is 1-800-829-1040.  I'm surprised you allowed them to send it to an address not on the IRS website. Hopefully, you don't regret this in the future.

liu10435

Hi, did you get your tax return finally? My tax return documents were also mailed to

Internal Revenue Service,

Austin, TX 73344

by UPS.

I also do not know whether this address is right.

Thanks.

AmyC

There are several IRS buildings in Austin. See Where To File - Internal Revenue Service for address depending on circumstances.

Always track your mail to the IRS to guarantee a safe delivery.

@liu10435

liu10435

Thanks. I know I should mail to 

Internal Revenue Service,
Austin, TX 73301

However, the UPS employee said that when he enters this zip code on their computer system it changes automatically to 73344. The UPS employee said this address is OK for delivery. 

It has been 2 months since I mailed, and I have not receive my tax return and there is no change for tax return status online. So I wonder whether this address can deal with my tax return.