turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hc216

Question about crypto coin transfer trasaction

Hello,

Last year (2018), I bought some crypco coins (Bitcoin and Ethereum) through coinbase. I never sold anything, but some portion of it, I transferred from coinbase to GDAX and bought altcoin from coin markets. My question is that I never sold any altcoin either, so I have nothing cashed-out yet. Do I still have to report this situation to 2018 tax about transfer amount or no? If so, which form and how do I report (how do you calculate transfer amount)?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, you need to report the Bitcoin or Ethereum trade for Altcoin.  You must report a gain or loss on the exchange from one type of cryptocurrency to another.

For some reason TurboTax has not yet updated their desktop Premier version for cryptocurrencies as they have with the online Premier version.  The online version has a separate section for cryptocurrencies and walks you through the transaction.  

If you did not keep records of your cryptocurrency transactions, you can try to find the information on the exchange's website. The most common way to do this is to go to your exchange's website and download your order or trading history. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can go (for example, an exchange may only provide 3 months of data due to storage limits on their servers).

Determining the cost basis for cryptocurrency is similar to figuring it out for stocks or property. Your cost basis is the fair market value of the cryptocurrency on the date of the transaction. This is true even for transactions where you received cryptocurrency as payment for goods and services.

We use the FIFO (first in, first out) method in our calculations, which complies with government regulations.

You can go to one of the following websites to help you calculate your cost basis:

• Bitcoin.tax
  • CoinTracker.io
Additional Information;

Follow these steps in the Premier Edition: (for online version but it will assist you)

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?  (If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.)
  4. Continue following the onscreen instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale. Note: There isn't a specific section for digital currency, but if you answer the questions related to sales, we'll be able to do the proper calculation.

OR if the jump-to link is not working

1. Select the Federal tab
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Select Investment Income
  4. You'll list each trade/sale in the Stocks, Mutual funds, Bonds, Other interview 
  5. When asked Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? select No 
  6. When asked to Choose the type of investment you sold select Everything else
  7. Translate proceeds of each transfer into US dollars at the time of the transfer
  8. Repeat for each

Please see this FAQ with more details:

Reporting cryptocurrency is similar to reporting a stock sale. You'll need to report your cryptocurrency if you sold, exchanged, spent or converted it.

You have to do this for every trade you made. If you bought coins at different prices or sold partial amounts, then you have to keep track and record the difference of what you sold. Cryptocurrency exchanges are not required to provide a 1099-B or summary tax statement for cryptocurrency transactions. It’s your responsibility to keep records of your transactions. The most common way to do this is to download your order or trading history from your exchange’s website. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can get information.

Once you have your figures:

1. If you haven’t already done so, sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu.
    1. If this is the first time you’ve accessed the Wages & Income section, you’ll answer some questions about your income.
    2. On the Let’s Check for Income screen, if you don’t see a list of types of income, select Jump to the full list.
  3. Select Show more next to Investment Income and select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency.
  4. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

There's an upload limit of 250 cryptocurrency transactions in TurboTax. If you have more than that, you’ll need a transaction aggregator. We’ll walk you through that in the cryptocurrency section.

{Edited 03.04.19} / 11:52}

View solution in original post

9 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, you need to report the Bitcoin or Ethereum trade for Altcoin.  You must report a gain or loss on the exchange from one type of cryptocurrency to another.

For some reason TurboTax has not yet updated their desktop Premier version for cryptocurrencies as they have with the online Premier version.  The online version has a separate section for cryptocurrencies and walks you through the transaction.  

If you did not keep records of your cryptocurrency transactions, you can try to find the information on the exchange's website. The most common way to do this is to go to your exchange's website and download your order or trading history. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can go (for example, an exchange may only provide 3 months of data due to storage limits on their servers).

Determining the cost basis for cryptocurrency is similar to figuring it out for stocks or property. Your cost basis is the fair market value of the cryptocurrency on the date of the transaction. This is true even for transactions where you received cryptocurrency as payment for goods and services.

We use the FIFO (first in, first out) method in our calculations, which complies with government regulations.

You can go to one of the following websites to help you calculate your cost basis:

• Bitcoin.tax
  • CoinTracker.io
Additional Information;

Follow these steps in the Premier Edition: (for online version but it will assist you)

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box, search for investment sales and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell any investments?  (If you land on the Here's the investment sales we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.)
  4. Continue following the onscreen instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale. Note: There isn't a specific section for digital currency, but if you answer the questions related to sales, we'll be able to do the proper calculation.

OR if the jump-to link is not working

1. Select the Federal tab
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Select Investment Income
  4. You'll list each trade/sale in the Stocks, Mutual funds, Bonds, Other interview 
  5. When asked Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? select No 
  6. When asked to Choose the type of investment you sold select Everything else
  7. Translate proceeds of each transfer into US dollars at the time of the transfer
  8. Repeat for each

Please see this FAQ with more details:

Reporting cryptocurrency is similar to reporting a stock sale. You'll need to report your cryptocurrency if you sold, exchanged, spent or converted it.

You have to do this for every trade you made. If you bought coins at different prices or sold partial amounts, then you have to keep track and record the difference of what you sold. Cryptocurrency exchanges are not required to provide a 1099-B or summary tax statement for cryptocurrency transactions. It’s your responsibility to keep records of your transactions. The most common way to do this is to download your order or trading history from your exchange’s website. You may need to do this a few times throughout the year due to limits on how far back you can get information.

Once you have your figures:

1. If you haven’t already done so, sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu.
    1. If this is the first time you’ve accessed the Wages & Income section, you’ll answer some questions about your income.
    2. On the Let’s Check for Income screen, if you don’t see a list of types of income, select Jump to the full list.
  3. Select Show more next to Investment Income and select Start or Revisit next to Cryptocurrency.
  4. Follow the instructions and we'll calculate the gain or loss from the sale.

There's an upload limit of 250 cryptocurrency transactions in TurboTax. If you have more than that, you’ll need a transaction aggregator. We’ll walk you through that in the cryptocurrency section.

{Edited 03.04.19} / 11:52}

hc216

Thank you! Does it mean I report amount I trade for altcoin? For instance, say I transferred 1 ETH to another altcoin exchange site. I have used 0.5 ETH for trading altcoin. Does it mean I report 0.5ETH or still 1ETH? Thank you
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Your cost would only be the amount of ETH that you used to trade for the altcoin.  So it is NOT how much you transferred to another exchange site, but how much of ETH was used in order for you to receive the altcoin.  Only the amount used to exchange one type of currency for another. So report 0.5ETH.
hc216

Thank you so much for all the help. So basically, what I need to do is go through my transaction history, and the time I bought altcoin using BTC or ETH, I look at fair market value of BTC or ETH (the time I traded altcoin), and used that USD amount, right?

Also I did not receive any tax related form, so I have to do this manually. Since I am using CD Software, where do I need to do this? Is this 1099-K or 1099-B? Thanks for all the help again
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you need to go through your transaction history and look for the value of BTC or ETH  on the day you traded for altcoin.  You need to enter the trades as a capital gain/loss on Schedule D as stocks, mutual funds, bonds, etc.
hc216

Ok, so I should go to stock/bond section and work on it, right?
Then another confusing part is that does it count as sold? All I did was trade to different altcoin, never sold those at all. I was thinking what I did count as buy? I don't know how gain/loss work because I did not sell my altcoin.

Thanks for the help again.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I know you did not sell it but the IRS is treating it as if you sold it.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://fortune.com/2018/01/29/bitcoin-taxes-cryptocurrency-irs/">http://fortune.com/2018/01/29/bitco... edited my answer above.
hc216

Hello Karen again. So I went through TurboTax CD product and got few more question about this alt coin situation.
I understand that for each transaction I have to file in Stock Bond section.

First, what is the category of this? Would it be "Short-term transaction- not being reported to the IRS." category? Or another one?

Also, say that I used all 0.5 ETH to buy altcoin (say LTC), when I put this for each row:
1a Description will be ETH, and 1d (Proceeds) will be 0.5 * ETH USD price of that time? How about 1e (Cost basis?) Do I only fill 1a and 1d for the trading?

Thanks again
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if you held the BTC less than one year it would be short -term transaction - not being reported to the IRS
For every trade that you made during the year, you list the amount of crypto traded, the price traded at, the date traded, the cost basis for the trade, and the capital gain or loss that occurred. Please see examples in the attached link <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://coincentral.com/how-to-calculate-your-bitcoin-taxes-2018/">https://coincentral.com/how-to-ca...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies