turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment from another state

Hi.

I have a 1099G from IL for 2017 but we lived in WA the entire year. I received this because my wife took a position here and I was not employed for some time.

I already submitted my WA taxes but just realized I may owe IL money or may be due some back.

I had federal and IL state withheld from my unemployment. TT says that I should get all of that IL state income tax back. 

I just want to make sure this is correct before I file with IL. Does that sound about right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Unemployment compensation included in your federal adjusted gross income is taxable to Illinois if:

• you earned it while you were an Illinois resident or
  • you received it from the Illinois Department of Employment Security as a nonresident.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/QuestionsAndAnswers/101.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Unemployment compensation included in your federal adjusted gross income is taxable to Illinois if:

• you earned it while you were an Illinois resident or
  • you received it from the Illinois Department of Employment Security as a nonresident.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/QuestionsAndAnswers/101.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Ok, so I wasn't a resident in 2017 at all. Filled out everything in TT as it asked and it said I am due the full amount back.

I went back and changed the allocation to say that 100 percent of it was earned from IL and I ended up owing a few bucks. Now I feel better. I just want to make sure I don't owe anyone money. Thx
TomD8
Level 15

What you did was correct.  Now you can enjoy living in Washington state, a state which has no income tax.

I received unemployment  from the Iowa Department of Employment Security in 2020 as a nonresident , I moved to Oklahoma in 2019, do I need to fill in 2020  to Iowa state ?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies