turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment from another state

Hi.

I have a 1099G from IL for 2017 but we lived in WA the entire year. I received this because my wife took a position here and I was not employed for some time.

I already submitted my WA taxes but just realized I may owe IL money or may be due some back.

I had federal and IL state withheld from my unemployment. TT says that I should get all of that IL state income tax back. 

I just want to make sure this is correct before I file with IL. Does that sound about right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Unemployment compensation included in your federal adjusted gross income is taxable to Illinois if:

• you earned it while you were an Illinois resident or
  • you received it from the Illinois Department of Employment Security as a nonresident.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/QuestionsAndAnswers/101.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Unemployment compensation included in your federal adjusted gross income is taxable to Illinois if:

• you earned it while you were an Illinois resident or
  • you received it from the Illinois Department of Employment Security as a nonresident.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/QuestionsAndAnswers/101.htm

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Ok, so I wasn't a resident in 2017 at all. Filled out everything in TT as it asked and it said I am due the full amount back.

I went back and changed the allocation to say that 100 percent of it was earned from IL and I ended up owing a few bucks. Now I feel better. I just want to make sure I don't owe anyone money. Thx
TomD8
Level 15

What you did was correct.  Now you can enjoy living in Washington state, a state which has no income tax.

I received unemployment  from the Iowa Department of Employment Security in 2020 as a nonresident , I moved to Oklahoma in 2019, do I need to fill in 2020  to Iowa state ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies