Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unauthorized charges

Intuit charged me for online filing when I didn't file that way, but using a purchased CD Rom from Costco.  Attempts to have that charge removed (credited) is becoming a nightmare, as even a phone call to an agent has not been successful.  Having to deal with my credit card bank to have the charge removed.  

This year's filing with Turbo Tax has been a nightmare requiring charges by my IT person to get the update required using my CD program to have the update downloaded.  

If this charge is not cleared up,  I will discontinue use of Turbo Tax and Intuit Quickbooks.  I've used these programs for years and have never had these problems before.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Unauthorized charges

Are you posting that you mailed your state return but was charged as if you efiled it?

Unauthorized charges

No one on this board can see your account or authorize a refund, we are all volunteers.

If you are trying to install Turbotax on a computer managed by an organization (work, for example), Turbotax is not responsible for the security policies and restrictions they might put in place.

Did you maybe file with Turbotax online (the web site) by mistake, even though you purchased the desktop version?  Turbotax online has no way to charge you anything unless you enter your credit card number or have it on file.  If you bought your desktop copy from another retailer, there is no reason for Turbotax to have your credit card number.

Also, when using the desktop version, even if you are using a version that includes "1 Free State*", that free state is preparation only, there is an additional fee for e-filing the state return (the asterisk is doing some work there).

If you purchased the desktop program on CD and then filed online by mistake, you can use the 60 day money back guarantee to get a refund for the CD version, instead of trying to refund the online charge. 

Unauthorized charges

We see lots of people who purchase the CD/download and then log on to online TurboTax by mistake, so that they get charged at the end.   Is that what happened?    Instead of downloading the software and entering the license code, did you "log on" to an account online and use online TurboTax?  You cannot pay for online software using the license code.

One way to tell if you are using the right software---your tool bar.   Online software has the toolbar in a black vertical column on the left side of the screen.   Desktop software has the tools up on the top of your TT screen.

If you accidentally used the online product, you could have switched to the CD/download version BEFORE you paid or filed.   Or is the problem that you did not realize you would need to pay to e-file a state return?   Even when the CD/download includes the software to prepare a state return, there is always---always--always an extra fee to e-file a state return.  Before March 1 that state e-file fee is $20; after March 1 it increases to $25.  You can print and mail the state to avoid the state e-file fee.

As indicated above, if you accidentally used online you can seek a refund for the desktop software you paid for.

CD/DOWNLOAD REFUND   https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unauthorized charges

No, taxes were filed online using a Turbo Tax CD program purchased and paid the fees for filing and purchasing my state program.  Redoing the taxes using the CD program ended up being a different result for the amount due verses refund which can be observed when looking at the initial online filing which was never sent, but Intuit Turbotax posted the billing.  Continued getting reminders to post online even after the wrongful billing.

Unauthorized charges

If you entered your credit card into the Online version you will get charged right away.  Did you want to print the online version to check it?  The Online fees are to prepare the return or print it, even if you do not file.  You could have downloaded the .tax2022 file from Online for free to open in your Desktop program to check and compare it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies