Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carpenter_brut
Returning Member

Unable to save - TurboTax Premier 2021 on macOS Big Sur

I am using TurboTax Premier 2021 on macOS Big Sur  (11.6.5) and I am unable to save my return.  When I open the File menu, all options are greyed out other than Close, Share, and Import.  Nearly all options on all menus are greyed out.  I haven't tried the Close option or the Quit TurboTax button at the end yet because I don't want to lose my work.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Possibly related: At some point, I clicked a Learn More link and a help dialog opened.  A help dialog opened and I left it open while I proceeded to the next steps of my return.  I am also unable to dismiss this help dialog.  When I click any of the close, minimize, or maximize buttons in the title bar I just get a "ding" sound and nothing happens.

turbotax-cant-save.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Your best option may be to reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can assist with this issue. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Another potential fix would be to remove and reinstall your TurboTax Program. 

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

You may also find some helpful information by clicking here and reading through the suggestions within the Community thread.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carpenter_brut
Returning Member

I was able to reach TurboTax support.  They weren't familiar with the issue and, after taking careful notes and doing some digging, they said that there was essentially nothing to be done.  It was clear that this was not the first strange bug that has occurred on macOS Big Sur.

On the bright side, at some point between finishing my return and contacting support, TurboTax auto-saved my data.  The file last modified timestamp indicated that the file was saved right about the time I e-Filed, so perhaps e-Filing triggered it?  I was able to exit TurboTax and reopen it through LaunchPad and all my return data was in tact.

At the suggestion of support, I also attempted to open my tax return file by double clicking it in the Finder.  When doing so, TurboTax loaded part way and then hung.  After exiting, I was able to open TurboTax through LaunchPad, open my tax return file from the File menu, and confirm that my data was still present.

So, my takeaways are:

- Save early, save often.

- If TurboTax won't let you save, if you soldier on to the end and e-File and it *may* trigger a save.

- If opening TurboTax by double clicking your file doesn't work.  Try launching it through LaunchPad and then opening your tax return file using the TurboTax file menu.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad everything worked out!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies