Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to process payment

I have completed both my federal and state return and have been trying for days to pay for TurboTax deluxe (online) plus state, but keep getting the message:

"We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card. Please verify your billing address, card number and CVV and try again."

I have called support 3 times and keep getting the same run-around.
- Tried multiple cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Visa check card)

- Tried multiple browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera)

- Tried 2 different laptops (both Windows 10)
- Cleared cache

- Cleared history

- Cleared saved personal data

- Cleared cookies

- Verified that mailing address on my return matches the mailing address from my CC companies exactly
- Followed the steps outline in their wiki that discusses this issue:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-your-payment-information-cannot...

I'm to the point that, if I can't get this resolved this week, I'm going to file elsewhere. I'm hesitant because I don't want to waste another 1/2 day inputting all my tax data.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

Are you using a U.S. based credit card?  If you just cannot get it to go through, one work around would be to get one of those pre-paid credit cards from a retail store to pay your TT fees.  At least you would not have to start your return over.....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

All of my cards are US based.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I tried their support 3 times and have up. They kept closing the ticket despite the issue being unresolved. So I resolved it myself by switching to TaxAct.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This FAQ will provide you the steps to contact an agent to process the payment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You seem to have missed my original comment and my follow up comments:

I tried their support 3 times and gave up. They kept closing the ticket despite the issue being unresolved. Inuit tech support is useless. 

I had the same problem for year 2020 taxes.   After many attempts (stop/start turbotax, reboot system, remove Ccard from GooglePay, etc) 

I finally got around this problem by logging in as guest in the intuit login page that pops up when getting ready to make the payment.  Do not login with your old intuit account, click on the "login as Guest".  Fill out all the required information (Name, Address, Ccard Number,etc).  This worked for me and I hope this helps you!

henrykranzler
Returning Member

I've had the exact same problem and have gotten no assistance from Intuit. I am wondering whether this is (another) fraudulent ploy by Intuit--this time to get people to pay $39 to have the fee deducted from their federal refund. Unless resolved by Intuit, I think that this warrants complaints to the IRS and the FTC. Intuit is already under investigation for fraud: https://www.propublica.org/article/turb[product key removed]t-faces-tens-of-millions-in-fees-in-a-gr...

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We do want to ensure you can pay using a credit card. If you are having issues processing the payment for our product, please click here to contact support. @henrykranzler

Same here. Phone support is useless. On the phone for 1 1/2 hours and still no help. Taxact sounds good at this point.

‘Expert’, this is still happening and your online support says they can’t take payments. So any other ‘expert’ ideas?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try to delete your cookies and cache.

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ regarding how to delete cookies, cache, and browsing history: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/how-do-i-delete-cookies/00/25978

For fee payments, we can only accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards with a U.S. billing address.

Another option is to pay your fees with your federal refund, also known as Pay With My Refund (charges may apply). 

The billing address for your credit card must be the same as the mailing address on your tax return. 
Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-we-are-having-trouble-validatin...

Thanks for the canned reply. Everything you mentioned has been done or verified. YOU ARE NO EXPERT. Why do you present a page directing me to call a number, give the rep some codes….then I’m told they can’t. Take payments? USELESS. I will share this negative experience with the members of my senior community via posting on a bulletin board. Next year TAXACT.

Azwilly111, 

I had the same problem last year and the way I finally got around the problem was by logging in as guest in the Intuit account pop up window.   Login as Guest is located on the bottom of the login window.

I just completed my 2021 return and made payment via  "login as guest".  I hope this helps you...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies