turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax will not auto update and therefore will not check for errors on my return. (I did do manual installation of update.)

I am using TT Deluxe for 2022 (from a CD). The program will not auto update. I have been all through the suggestions for this and have spoken by phone with TT support. I have given up on auto update, but have installed the latest update manually. The program will not check my return for errors without auto updating. How can I get around this problem and get the program to check for errors?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax will not auto update and therefore will not check for errors on my return. (I did do manual installation of update.)

Finally got through to second-tier support on telephone. Spoke w/ 'Michelle' (apparently a different Michelle), who not only seemed to know what she was talking about, but also solved my problem. Per her suggestion, I saved my completed returns (TAX file) to a place on my directory I carefully noted. I then uninstalled TT, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled  TT from the CD, and voila, the auto update worked. After that, the TT program did not ask me to update again before successfully doing the error check.

Lesson learned: TT will not do an error check unless you have successfully done an auto update. Manual update will not get you around this quirk.

In any case, thank you for your suggestion (even though it did not work). And thank you to the first-tier support rep who knew enough to know I needed second-tier support. (On my first call attempt to get help from support, the rep basically said he could not help me beyond the manual update suggestion, and did not offer to connect me w/ second-tier support.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below Turbotax Help Article to assist you with troubleshooting your update issue.

Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Finally got through to second-tier support on telephone. Spoke w/ 'Michelle' (apparently a different Michelle), who not only seemed to know what she was talking about, but also solved my problem. Per her suggestion, I saved my completed returns (TAX file) to a place on my directory I carefully noted. I then uninstalled TT, rebooted the computer, then reinstalled  TT from the CD, and voila, the auto update worked. After that, the TT program did not ask me to update again before successfully doing the error check.

Lesson learned: TT will not do an error check unless you have successfully done an auto update. Manual update will not get you around this quirk.

In any case, thank you for your suggestion (even though it did not work). And thank you to the first-tier support rep who knew enough to know I needed second-tier support. (On my first call attempt to get help from support, the rep basically said he could not help me beyond the manual update suggestion, and did not offer to connect me w/ second-tier support.)

rschill
Returning Member

I have TurboTax Premier 2022 and as in past years when you first start TT or when TT reviews your return, it first wants to update the program. After fighting this issue for several hours and reading Intuit's discussion on the problem. TT states "If your wireless connection is interrupted or isn't working, you won't be able to update TurboTax for Windows. As a result, we recommend using a wired, broadband connection with your TurboTax CD/Download software" I had no problem downloading the software through my wireless connection. Trying to update the software was not possible with my wireless connection. Fortunately., I have a PC that can take either a wireless or wired broadband connection. I hooked up the wired connection and in less than 4 minutes the update was finished. I never had to do this in previous years with TurboTax. Obviously something changed for the 2022 tax software and it is causing many users an "updater headache". Intuit should be able to fix this so that wireless connections work for updates as they have in previous years. Nothing has changed on my system in 2-3 years and this was never a problem in past years. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for your input on this and what helped to get the update to work. I will pass this feedback over to the correct team on this. @rschill 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rschill
Returning Member

I worked on my taxes for a couple of days and every time I started TT Premier 2022, it did the update without getting stuck, I was away for a couple of weeks and just got back to working on my taxes. I still had direct connect not wireless. I had worked on other stuff for many hours before I clicked on TT. When TT it asked to get the latest updates. I clicked on "Get latest updates" and got the normal will take 4 minutes. But this time it got stuck stuck again and nothing happened after 15-20 minutes. I shut down my PC - restarted it and started TT again. This time it updated without a problem in less than a minute. I think there is a problem with the TT updater as this was never a problem in the past.  At least now I know that I can work on TT and get past the updates and get my taxes done.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies