Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file more than one return with my TurboTax Online account?

File another tax return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

TurboTax Online can only prepare and e-file one federal return and up to five state returns. To file a return for someone else, you must create a new UserID for that person. You may create a new login (up to 5) tied to your same email address if you'd like. 

To create a new account for TurboTax Online, please see this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574    

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, first save what you're currently working on by clicking File > Save As. Then, to start a new tax file, click File > New Tax Return.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MollsBBU

TurboTax Online can only prepare and e-file one federal return and up to five state returns. To file a return for someone else, you must create a new UserID for that person. You may create a new login (up to 5) tied to your same email address if you'd like. 

To create a new account for TurboTax Online, please see this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574    

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, first save what you're currently working on by clicking File > Save As. Then, to start a new tax file, click File > New Tax Return.

jolly548

The guidance about how to prepare more than one Federal return on one account is sorely lacking!  I've spent more than two hours trying to create a second login, clearing my browsing history/cookies, and reading numerous online articles about how to do this.  Not worth the agitation!!!  I was trying to save some money this year by filing my own taxes, but understand now why professional CPAs are worth their money.  NOT HAPPY with TurboTax!

@jolly548 You need a separate account  and user ID for each return when you use online TurboTax.  You can use the same email address, but different account and user ID for each one,  If you have more than one return, it would be more cost effective to use desktop software.

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software.  You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones.  If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901306-how-many-times-can-i-e-file-using-the-turbotax-cd-or-downl...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2942039-what-s-the-difference-between-turbotax-online-and-the-turb...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for answering this question!   What is the fee to file the second federal return and the second state return if I am using the desktop version ?

@Alli1 wrote:

Thank you for answering this question!   What is the fee to file the second federal return and the second state return if I am using the desktop version ?

With the desktop editions you get 5 free federal e-files.  There is an e-file charge for each state return that is currently $19.99 (except for New York state which is free) (The state e-file fee will increase to $24.99 around March 1).  However, this fee can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

Once the 5 e-files have been used then all other tax return after the 5 have to be printed and mailed.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can prepare and mail as many returns as you need to with the desktop products.  

Federal returns: Although you can paper-file as many federal returns as you want using the CD/Download software, only five (5) of those can be e-filed per IRS regulations.

State returns: If you have more than one state attached to your federal return, up to three (3) of them can be e-filed. Keep in mind that many nonresident state returns can't be e-filed anyway, so if you're doing more than one state, focus on e-filing the resident and part-year resident return(s).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your help! It is frustrating that TurboTax doesn’t put this information on their website. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The information is on the website, but you have to click on the hyperlinks for it to show:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried it and it does not work with deluxe.  Everywhere it says you can but no where does it say "how". Created a new account using my account email address.  All looked good up front but each account will charge you for the software.  Not sure why.  It is as if you do not have the software already nor an account.  I am not a software expert but it should be as simple as a button for new return for families.  So the correct answer to the Question is - Yes you can input and file for multiple returns as long as you pay for each one. 

@Butter1032

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software.  You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones.  If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.

Desktop --unless you specifically buy federal  Deluxe only from a retailer-- will include the software for one specific state.   You can prepare as many returns for that state as the number of federal returns you prepare.  E-filing state returns is an extra fee which can be avoided by printing and mailing the states.   Additional--other--state software is an additional fee for the software.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901306-how-many-times-can-i-e-file-using-the-turbotax-cd-or-downl...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
hawksgal
Returning Member

I am also struggling on trying to figure out how to file for multiple people using the desktop deluxe account.  Too bad there is no chat and it is difficult to find the answers.

@hawksgal wrote:

I am also struggling on trying to figure out how to file for multiple people using the desktop deluxe account.  Too bad there is no chat and it is difficult to find the answers.

Using the desktop editions, click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on New Tax Return.  You can do this for each person that needs a tax return.

Before starting a New Tax Return, make sure that you Save the tax return that you were working on.  Click on Save in the File menu.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies