turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for the information!  I will note that for next year's return, as this year, with a lot of calls and one very helpful rep, I was able to get mine sent electronically by changing my "ship to address" to "123 Main Street" in my home town (there is no such address!), and both of my returns successfully were transmitted, and two weeks later, today, New York paid me my refund!!  So I almost spent the same amount of time putting my data, and making phone calls to Intuit to resolve my problem as it took NY to process my return and pay me!?!?!?

Best regards,

Greg

Turbotax is not letting me E file my New York State taxes but New York state does not allow you to mail it in! My federal return was E files and accepted.

Already paid NY State Tax  went to file and Turbo tax is reuesting another payment.

I already had my NY return accepted and refunded to me.  Have you spoken to their help desk at all?  It took me several contacts, but I did get through, and a few days later got a note that they had fixed the problem.  If you have not gotten a satisfactory answer from them, please contact me back.

Greg 

I have been using T urbo Tax for years and never had any problems e- filing. This year I could'nt e-file my NYS income tax because  of some "energy credit problem with NYS". I never even have any energy credits.

Turbo Tax and NYS have to get together and fix this problem so it never occurs again. It is a real inconvienience . If Turbo Tax cant fix this problem before next years taxes are due I will stop using it. I think everyone should check with Turbo Tax before purchasing next year's software and if the problem is'nt fixed  then one should choose another tax preparer software package.

J.P. Huberman MD

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

In order to clear the error and e-file your return, you must delete Form IT-255 from your return. 

To remove the solar and wind energy carryover from your NY return, please follow the steps below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left-hand side.
  3. Click Edit next to New York
  4. Continue through the return.
  5. On the page, Take a look at New York credits and taxes, scroll down to Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years.
  6. Delete any zero's that have been populated on the screen. 
  7. Click on Tax Tools on the left-hand side.
  8. Click on Tools.
  9. Click on Delete a Form.
  10. Delete Form IT-255 and the IT-255 credit worksheet.  

@JHuber8383

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
arisac
Returning Member

This sounds like it will fix my problem but how do I go through my state tax form on turbotax to do this step? 

davidlyons804
Returning Member

I am having the same problem.   I have wasted so much time trying to get it to work when I know I have not made an error.  Caught in an endless loop on my 1099R Form.  What's an alternative to Turbo Tax?  This is an absolute awful experience.

I was able to send mine electtronically only after I altered my "mailing address" at the end of the procedure - NOT on your actual return copies, but on the TurboTax records, to "123 Mail Street", using my NY town name and zip code, at the suggestion of the help person on the phone, who was talking with a programmer about the issue.

Greg

Same here. It’s April 17th and I’m scared to death and really disappointed in TurboTax. All I can think to do is to find the NY tax forms and fill them in by hand, copying from the TT return.

arisac
Returning Member

That sounds bonkers! I'm going to try it, though. I was on the phone for about 4 hrs last night with various Turbotax help desk folks and didn't hear about this. 

Same here. I printed a screen shot of the TurboTax message saying my return could not be filed, and included it with the printed return. But since mailing a printed return prepared with software is *illegal* in NY, I’m really anxious about this. Very disappointed in TurboTax.

arisac
Returning Member

You can file with Turbotax and just print and mail the state return. Did you find where to enter your 1099G? Under "Other common income." You enter it, but then it won't let you efile the state return. You would have to print and mail it... unless the suggestion above about mailing address will work. 

arisac
Returning Member

Where do I go to change this? 

For me it wasn’t an error code. It simply says your return cannot be e-Filed.  The. When you print the return, it says on the 2nd page that it’s illegal to mail it.

I printed a screenshot of the TurboTax message saying I could not e-file and included that with my paper return. I still expect to be in big trouble. I just don’t know what else to do.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies