Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is not correctly adding my local taxes that I have paid. I need to adjust schedule OR-A line 5 to include all the local taxes that we are required to pay. How?

In Portland, OR - we have three local taxes that need to be added together on the Schedule OR-A form line 5, and turbotax is only adding in the Arts tax, not the Metro tax for supporting housing or the Portland preschool for all tax. How can I include those taxes on the Oregon itemized schedule A form?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is not correctly adding my local taxes that I have paid. I need to adjust schedule OR-A line 5 to include all the local taxes that we are required to pay. How?

Were the Metro Supportive Housing Services (SHS) Personal Income Tax and Multnomah County Preschool for All (PFA) Personal Income Tax included on your W-2 or did you pay those amounts separately?

TurboTax will pick up local tax on a W-2.

If you made a direct payment, here’s what to do:

1. Type estimated tax payments in Search in the upper right
  2. Select Jump to estimated tax payments
  3. Scroll down to Other Income Taxes Paid in 2022
  4. Select Balance due on your 2021 local taxes paid in 2022 and enter the amounts.
  5. For locality, choose Multiple Localities/Locality Not Listed and combine the amounts
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes. That is what I did. But it is not added in my Oregon State tax form. How do I add those numbers that say "no locality" onto my itemized deductions for Oregon?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The tax should be showing on line 5 of your OR-A. Any taxes paid to any other state and to any locality should be showing up there. You can go back and put the full amount under the Portland Arts tax so that OR matches up.

If you are not seeing the local taxes after switching to Portland Arts, we may need to take a deeper look. You can either let us know or contact support.

shachiagarwalla
Returning Member

This seems to be a common issue that Portland local taxes from W2 are not being included in OR Schedule-A Line 5. Another post on this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/business-taxes/discussion/re-for-oregon-form-or-40-schedule-or-a-h...

In my case I have localities "OR METRO" and "OR MULT" in my W2 as well but still seeing the issue.

Hope TurboTax can fix this!

I also have the same problem. The full local tax amount does not show in the Oregon tax return. 

I have the supportive housing tax which I paid for 2021 directly in 2022. And for 2022, my employer withheld money for supportive housing on the W2. 

I followed the instructions for the direct payment to add in "Other Income Taxes paid in 2022". This value shows up in the Oregon Schedule A, line 5. 

But the withholding from the W2 which was entered in turbotax for federal return does not show up on the Oregon Schedule A, line 5. 

How do I work around this problem?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You can make the withholding entries in the "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" topic that will carry to OR form OR-A line 5, itemized deductions as well as 1040, Schedule A, line 5a.

Here are the steps:

1. "Deductions and Credits"
  2. "Estimates and other taxes paid"
  3. "Income Taxes Paid"
  4. "Withholding not already entered..." 
  5. "Locality Withholding"
  6. Select the "Multiple localities or not listed" option
  7. Total the local withholding on your forms W2 that is not showing and enter the amount
  8. Return to "Wages and Income"
  9. "W2"
  10. Delete the "Locality" lines/entries so they are not double counted on your 1040 Schedule A.

@davidedaniel @PG999 @shachiagarwalla 

If I had withholding for OR Metro SHS on my W-2 and I had to make an additional payment, do I manually adjust the amount on my OR Schedule A?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You have options: 

• You can edit your w2 and add the payments together. This is for the program, every tax authority already has a copy.
  • You can follow the steps above your post to add the extra tax under the federal deductions and credits section.
  • If you are using the desktop program, you can just add it in Forms mode.

@Leilani142 I like the second option best

Thank you.  I guess I will file an amendment to my OR taxes as I have already submitted them.  Reminder to self for next year: calculate Portland Metro taxes before completing OR tax forms.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, all taxes paid during the tax year should go on the return 🙂

See I need to amend my state return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies