Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Desktop 2022 Not letting me continue

I am from California and I am trying to amend my 2022 tax return using 2022 TurboTax Desktop in 2024. I am stuck on the "Review" section under the "Audit Protection" page. Specifically, on the page it is written Let's get ready to file your taxes; Great Job! You're almost done. It's time to wrap up your 2022 taxes and file your returns". 

The blue button labeled "continue", is not working no matter how many times I select it to proceed onto the next page. It is also glowing yellow. 

I have attempted to use the phone number provided by the "Contact Us" page but after multiple questions, it only has provided links that does not help to solve the problem I am experiencing. 

What should I do now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

An amended 2022 return cannot be e-filed.  The only way for you to file an amended 2022 return is by mail.  You have to print it, sign and date it in ink, and mail it in.   Only an amended 2023 return can still be e-filed.  Any earlier year has to be filed by mail, so you will continue to be frustrated if you keep trying to e-file it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Are you able to click on the File tab and then on File a Return to bypass the Review section?

A 2022 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Now I understand what I need to do. 

I have another question though. On the TurboTax 2022 desktop software, after looking around, I found the forms that I need to mail filled out with the new changes I did recently. Do I just need to print and mail these out for both state and federal respectively?

@yoshina3 wrote:

Now I understand what I need to do. 

I have another question though. On the TurboTax 2022 desktop software, after looking around, I found the forms that I need to mail filled out with the new changes I did recently. Do I just need to print and mail these out for both state and federal respectively?

For the amended federal tax return, you need to print, sign and date the Form 1040-X to the IRS.  Do not include with the mailed return the changed Form 1040 nor the original Form 1040 before changes.  You should include with the mailed return any other forms or schedules which were changed and those will have an Attachment Sequence Number located in the upper right corner of the form or schedule.

If you are also amending the state return, only the amended state tax returns needs to be signed, dated and mailed to the state.  The filing instructions that are included in the printout of the returns should have the information you need for which forms or schedules to include along with the address for each amended return that is being mailed.

Do you have a refund or tax due on the amended return?  Here’s some other notes you might want to read…..

The amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  I think the cover sheet shows what the original return WOULD have been if you did it right the first time.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X line 20.

Or You can pay the IRS directly at

Https://www.irs.gov/payments

Pick Amended and 1040X on the payment page.

What should I do if on the provided instructions, TurboTax only provided instructions for electronic filing for this state amended tax return. It specifically tells me to "Do not mail a paper copy of your tax return. Since you filed electronically, the FTB already has your return". But I never received confirmation of whether it was actually e-filed since TurboTax Desktop does not let me continue onto the next page. 

@yoshina3 wrote:

What should I do if on the provided instructions, TurboTax only provided instructions for electronic filing for this state amended tax return. It specifically tells me to "Do not mail a paper copy of your tax return. Since you filed electronically, the FTB already has your return". But I never received confirmation of whether it was actually e-filed since TurboTax Desktop does not let me continue onto the next page. 

The amended California State return should be a Form 540X.  It cannot be e-filed for tax year 2022, it can only be printed and mailed.

If you are due a refund, have no amount due, or paid electronically, mail your tax return to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD, PO BOX 942840, SACRAMENTO CA 94240-0001
If you owe, mail your return and check or money order to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD, PO BOX 942867, SACRAMENTO CA 94267-0001

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies