Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2023 State Forms Not Loading after Download

Since nothing else has worked, regardless of how many computers I try, I thought I'd give a detailed (pics) description of a looping error with the state download(s) from within TurboTax 2023. We'll start with the familiar setup that shows the following:

1 - State has not loaded and you want to load it via the top of the screen OR using step-by-step. Results are the same either way. Click on "See Amount"

1.png

2 - Save the file and the State purchase screen appears. As you can see, I've already downloaded my free state - in this case, Illinois. Click "Download Now"

2.png

3 - Up pops the following screen. Click "OK" and proceed.

3.png

4 - After working for a few seconds, this appears. Again, click "OK" and, sadly, nothing has changed and you are right back where you started. 

4.png

5.png

Yes, I've tried the steps listed here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/electronic-filing/state-install-e-file-u...

Nothing works! Anybody get past this point and can help??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It's not you. this has happened to everyone who tried to download the state when it wasn't available. possibly a 

misleading marketing ploy.

use this link to see when your state will be available at the earliest. it might even be later.

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product... 

return type 1040 individual

next box select your  state 

leave the 3rd box blank.

View solution in original post

143 Replies

It's not you. this has happened to everyone who tried to download the state when it wasn't available. possibly a 

misleading marketing ploy.

use this link to see when your state will be available at the earliest. it might even be later.

https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product... 

return type 1040 individual

next box select your  state 

leave the 3rd box blank.

Thanks for the reply. I started my return in late November and the state links within the program told me IL was not available until 12/3/2023. After that date, I was able to "download" it and get to the above scenario. Upon clicking your link and checking availability, IL forms show a 1/11/2024 availability. While I do not need the forms for filing for some time, don't let me download what isn't available <<TurboTax/Intuit...are you listening??

Dates of availability are always subject to change and most of the state forms will not be functional until mid to late January even if you could download the state program now. 

@Critter-3 Yes, I realize they aren't valid to file electronically or otherwise until they are finalized in January. I've used TurboTax since (shows age) about 1993 and this is the only time in the modern versions of said program that a state form "downloaded" and not been immediately added to the program; even if it can't be filed.

Now if the program incorrectly showed it available and also showed I downloaded it, then I'll simply wait until Jan 11 and try again. Again, after many years of using TurboTax, the original scenario above has never happened. 

So to confirm, are we certain this is the issue? I've uninstalled and manually whacked all registry entries figuring it was an install issue. Can someone from TT confirm the solution is to wait to the date listed in the attached URL?

There are always issues in the pre season programming ... then add in vacations being taken over the holidays and you have the perfect storm ... all you can do is wait for the tech team to make the needed corrections.  So far only 3 state downloads are being reported as having issues so 3 out of 46 is not a bad ratio.  

Thanks. I develop Software for a living so I get it. Hoping to hear from someone who works at the company to verify the issue and the potential fix.

Thanks

The fix always happens ... when it will happen is the unknown. Patience is needed. 

Smile

Anyone from TT out there, please advise. Critter 3...no further need to reply to me.

Thanks

Not sure which 3 you know about but add VA to that list if it's not already on there. Going to wait a few weeks to see if it's fixed.

Yes, add Wisconsin to that list also.

As original poster stated, I have used TT for 20, maybe 30 years and have NEVER had this issue.  It would say WI forms not available until XYZ date and once that date came, it would download the forms.  This would allow me to do some tax planning over the final 10 days of the year in case I needed to make some last minute changes.   

It went from telling me that WI forms not available until Dec 21st to now saying it downloaded the state forms, but I can't actually access the forms at all.  

Of course we can't actually FILE our taxes until some time in 2024, but we certainly should have the forms available in turbo tax to play around with as soon as the state makes them available.

I too feel someone from Turbo Tax needs to actually address the issue.   And we should not have to uninstall and reinstall or run any of the other things I have read about.  

I have the same problem with New York S Corp 2023 Windows version. TT website says it is available as of Nov 3rd.  No download button and no license key. There was no delay in taking my money though.

Even if you could download the NY program now the underlying forms to print will not be available until early January and efile them early February.  The early version is never fully functional ... patience is always needed every year as the program is updated many times until fully operational.  FYI ... same thing goes for all of the DIY and professional programs. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-forms/state-forms-availability-table...

Same download problem and this is on 1/3 when the program was to be available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies