Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

_RBW
Returning Member

Turbotax 2022 Premier will not install on my Windows 10 (Home) PC.

I've tried to install Turbotax Premier many times over the past couple of days, and have reached the same place each time. The installation program launches, shows the terms of use agreement, and options for install location and sharing information with Intuit.   Clicking on "Install" opens a new window, but the progress bar area directly above "Installing..." remains blank. After about 30 minutes, a dialogue box with a blue question mark appears, with the message, "Installer is no longer responding." Clicking "Cancel" instead of "Retry" terminates the installation.   This behavior is consistent whether the installation is based on a download from Intuit, or from a purchased CD.  There is no error code or further information in this message.

I've run setup on the CD as an administrator, and done the same with the downloaded package from Intuit. I've taken other steps to resolve the issue with no success, including changing the environment variables and Temp folders, deleting all Turbotax2022 residue in those folders, running SFC, ensuring Windows Update is current, and trying to install using a different user on the same computer.  After starting the installation, Task Manager shows no CPU or disk activity for Turbotax.

I have successfully installed many versions of Turbotax in the past, as recently as last year, on this computer, with no issues.  No idea why thus installation is failing.

All help and ideas greatly appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please review these Trouble-shooting tips. If you are still unable to install TurboTax on your computer, please contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@_RBW

...one other thing..which you may have done, but perhaps not....is to check for any partially-installed Windows OS updates...those are known to block TTX installs....those require a reboot after they have partially-installed.

And reboot your computer too, even if no updates are waiting.  (after reboot, leave everything alone for ~ 15 min before you try installing TTX.

Dang...just see one now when I checked.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
_RBW
Returning Member

Thanks.  I've doubled checked WU to ensure nothing is pending.  Will reboot and wait a while.

I wonder if my many attempts to install the program have left some entries in the registry (or Installshield) that are confusing the installer.  I've deleted the temporary files, but don't know how to get at any registry entries that might be left over.

_RBW
Returning Member

@MoniqueLO_  I am responding to your email asking if the issue has been resolved.  Thank you for following up, but unfortunately, it has not, and I've reached a dead end.  Intuit has no other possible solutions, and recommends that I switch to TTX Online.

I spent three hours (literally) this morning on a call with TTX support, sharing my screen and doing four or five reboots and install attempts.  The representative could not have been nicer, and definitely wanted to see the issue resolved.  She successfully engaged Level 2 support on different parts of the call, but with no favorable outcome.

I've installed other software on the machine in question while trying to install TTX; none has exhibited the same behavior; all have installed properly.  Since I am not comfortable using TTX Online, I may try to install TTX 2022 on an old laptop and see if it will run.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies