turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2019 activation lasted one day

I did not have Malwarebytes running.  H&R Block had no problem activating.  My "secure" system, with router firewall OFF, system firewall OFF, everything OFF, LOL, and H&R Block runs, but not TT19.  It's to stupid. 

philip-b
Returning Member

I'm sure that this explanation is technically correct, but it doesn't get Turbotax off the hook.  Don't they test their software before releasing it?  Don't they know about popular security software?  Lots of programs these days use activation codes.  I have not had this issue with any other software I use.

Ok ...  anyone who buys/uses  the program before mid January when it is mostly operational are unwitting beta testers and this new activation code situation has bugs in it for SOME users that will need to be worked out. Time is needed to work get  this  new function corrected since there are so many OS and security system combinations to be considered.   

Best you can do if you have issues is to call in for individual help ... if you bought the CD many have posted that reinstalling from a download fixed the problem ... call to get a download pushed your way. 

Use this website to contact TurboTax support for this situation:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

OK just for everyone--I called in for help awhile back--1 hour on phone and still no activation--downloaded from them, they sent new program and code--and--no activation--have tried everything--mine and their help suggestions--no activation--waited until today after reading last post--01/04/  and tried again..  OK turbo Tax people---your system just connected up with my system and put on my screen that it just downloaded on to my computer the latest updates,  1 of them being--"PROGRAM--CRITICAL" your system words on my computer--but your stupid ass computer tells me it can not connect to mine to get the activation code I enter--"HOW DID IT CONNECT TO MINE TO GIVE ME THE CRITICAL PROGRAM UPDATE.'  Geez you got a major problem,  and you can't even see it.  Again for the record--I connect everyday with secure financial sites with no problem,  never had a problem with activating H&R Block--and just in case you don't read your own software,  it does state that I can use win7.    I WANT my money back!  I WANT it now.

@ryker Go to this TurboTax website to request a refund for the software purchased from TurboTax - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

I activated the Deluxe version on Jan 5 on a new desktop PC.   It accepted the activation on that day.

Just now, as I tried to open TT, it asked me to activate again.  My fear is it will keep on losing my activation as it said it has a max of 5 activation.

It seems like once you activate and boot up PC later, it will lose your activation.

I will wait until I have all data available for file my tax return, then I will activate.  No joke. I will activate and then finish the tax return before I turn off the PC then.  This sounds terrible.

@caribou48  Did you see this one?  

Turbo Tax asks for the License Code each time you start

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every...

Otherwise Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Carl
Level 15

On a whim and based on no facts what-so-ever, I wonder if this could be a computer date/time issue. Check the date (including the year) and the time (pay attention to the time ZONE configured on the computer) on all computers concerned. Ya never know, that might be it.

Carl
Level 15

Another possibility too. Try disabling IPv6 on your NIC so you're using IPv4 only. See if that does the trick. For windows 10 users note that by default, priority is given to IPv6 if it's enabled on your NIC. But if you're using somthing like 6to4 tunneling via your modem/router or if your ISP is using it on their end, that "could" contribute to IPv6 communication failures. So if you just disable IPv6 on your computer's NIC, that will force the use of IPv4 end-to-end.

If you want to test this, disable IPv6 and activate the program. Then reboot the computer and start the program again. I would expect you will "NOT" be prompted to activate a 2nd time.

Then enable IPv6, reboot the computer and start the TTX program again. If you are prompted to activate, this confirms that your IPv6 connection is a problem somwhere between your computer and the TTX activation/validation servers. Could be with a peice of equipment in your home, or on your ISP's end.

Now I remember exactly how and when I lost my activation.  On Jan 5th, I activated my Deluxe version on my new desktop PC.  It was a Sunday and I had some time.   Right  after, I installed all latest Windows 10 updates.  I remember how long it took to install.   I waited until dinner time for the Windows 10 update to complete.

And that's what it took to wipe out my activation.   So, WARNING, backup your PC before major Windows 10 update!!!!!!    I was not aware of the need of a backup because it is a new PC.  

philip-b
Returning Member

Strictly speaking you may be correct.  I'm using Win 10 but I haven't tried your suggestion. 

But the real issue is why is this situation happening?  It sure seems like you are describing a poorly thought out authentication mechanism, given that the vast, vast majority of the Internet still runs on IP V4 for at least one link between your system and Quicken's servers.

philip-b
Returning Member

If you do a full backup, and then you have an authentication failure, so you decide to restore that full backup, then what?  What is that you just over-wrote the Windows update.

Again, this situation seems like a poorly designed authentication mechanism.

I don't think it's because of ipv6--how can their computer connect to mine to give me-"the program", updates and a "Critical Program" update, whatever it contained--(I could not find out), and yet when it gives the program updates it knows what the program needs in the way of updates, it should be able to see the activation code also entered into the program, (again-it can see what updates you need), and accept the activation code.  It gave mine the "Program Critical" update with everything else using ipv6.  It's a junk program written poorly with even a more junk way of accepting a activation code.  I'm using H&R Block, right now, no problem activating it at all.

Aneliese
Returning Member

Intuit is denying there is a problem, but you may get help depending on which program you bought.

If they have a download, they will give you that along with a new license (activation code). If there is no download available (TurboTax Business) you are stuck until they fix the problem. Or you can buy the program again and risk having the same thing happen.

Aneliese
Returning Member

Updates have nothing to do with the problem.

Every time you enter the activation code, your computer communicates with Intuit and counts that as a new installation. On the sixth launch you will get an error and not be able to log into the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies