turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cbrady
Returning Member

TurboTax 2018 Premier Doesn't Properly Load A Turbo Tax 2018 .tax File

I was unable to complete my taxes with the online version of TurboTax because it had no option for Form 982 and I was told I needed to get the offline application in order to add information for Form 982. After purchasing and installing the CD version I downloaded my already complete, but not filed, 2018 taxes directly from the TurboTax website as a ".tax2018" file. When attempting to open the ".tax2018" file the software asserts that it does not recognize the file despite the fact that it saves modified and in-progress returns as a .tax2018 file. The only way to get it to read .tax2018 files is to let it scan your PC and find them itself. Confusingly enough, after you actually save a modified return, the next time you try to manually open a tax file TurboTax magically recognizes the .tax2018 format! The problem is that for some reason it doesn't recognize the return as being a 2018 return, but instead considers it "last year's" return and prompts me to redo everything over once again.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I can not down load my 2018 turbo tax data in hard drive

unable to down load my 2018 turbo tax data

Did you use the online version and want to download the tax data file or the pdf file?

Save the PDF

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf/00/26...

Save the tax file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

Then you need the 2018 Desktop program installed to open a.tax2018 File.

dotdontaylor
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Premier 2019 CD version does't transfer anything but basic personal information from the 2018 version to the 2019 version.

tyue

I try to load my turbo tax file 2018 to prepare 2019 tax return, after download, it seems 2018 info did not get in.

2. I try to download another file for2018 but show file is too large that can not download ? and I always use turbo tax to prepare tax return

Are you trying to Transfer the file ending in .tax2018?  What happens?  What do you mean after you download it?  Download it from where?  Did you use the online version last year?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies