cbrady
Returning Member

TurboTax 2018 Premier Doesn't Properly Load A Turbo Tax 2018 .tax File

I was unable to complete my taxes with the online version of TurboTax because it had no option for Form 982 and I was told I needed to get the offline application in order to add information for Form 982. After purchasing and installing the CD version I downloaded my already complete, but not filed, 2018 taxes directly from the TurboTax website as a ".tax2018" file. When attempting to open the ".tax2018" file the software asserts that it does not recognize the file despite the fact that it saves modified and in-progress returns as a .tax2018 file. The only way to get it to read .tax2018 files is to let it scan your PC and find them itself. Confusingly enough, after you actually save a modified return, the next time you try to manually open a tax file TurboTax magically recognizes the .tax2018 format! The problem is that for some reason it doesn't recognize the return as being a 2018 return, but instead considers it "last year's" return and prompts me to redo everything over once again.