Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nonamepub

Turbo Tax won't accept my last name. I keep receiving an error that says, "Please enter your last name, using only letters"

I have a compound last name (NO hyphen) and have only entered letters.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax won't accept my last name. I keep receiving an error that says, "Please enter your last name, using only letters"

If you have a space in your name, remove that as well.  TurboTax will read a space as a character as well, causing an error similar to the hyphen.  This happens to me as well.  

For example if your last name is Smith Jones, Enter it in TurboTax as SmithJones.  This is similar to how the IRS computers will also match up your name.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you have a space in your name, remove that as well.  TurboTax will read a space as a character as well, causing an error similar to the hyphen.  This happens to me as well.  

For example if your last name is Smith Jones, Enter it in TurboTax as SmithJones.  This is similar to how the IRS computers will also match up your name.  

My last name is O’Neal and it’s saying type this way. I do and it won’t accept it idk what to do. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS matched what is on files at Social Security. They match the last four digits of your social security number and the first four letters on your last name.

I’m entering it the same exact way. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have two last names, or a name that could be considered a middle name instead of a last name?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies